AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just want to ask your opinions on the SharpVision XV-Z9000 DLP Projector.

It is rather old and outdated, but a family member (who didn't use it very much btw) is looking to give it to me along with the electronic scroll down screen (100+")

I currently have in the living room a 3 yr old sony 57" rear projection tv that I am not crazy about.

I am just curious if it is worth the trouble of taking on this unit, as I would certainly have to pay for an installer to do it properly and also trying to figure out the best way to use it in our living room....he also has a crestron unit I could have as well, but it's extremely confusing to program, and sound advice charges out the ass to reconfig it

any thoughts here guys? I appreciate it.

edit: link ....i think he paid 10k for it in 2002
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sharp_z9000.htm

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Umm ... I'll say it first , for free then it is ABSOLUTELY worth it (heck even for several hundred it would be worth it) . Jump on it
!

-- Jason

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Z9000 was a great projector in its day and it can still hold its own against some newer projectors. But a projector isn't for everyone. Borrow it for awhile and set it up on a table in your living room to see if it projects a good picture in your environment. You can even use a bare wall. White or grey would work the best, but I even project on a green family room wall to somewhat acceptable results. Projectors need dark rooms and often a living room is less than ideal. But you won't know until you try it out. I say go for it.

Jim

As far as the Crestron goes, they're certainly nice, but it may not have a lot of use for your situation, and like you say, it's a small fortune to have reprogrammed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm mostly trying to determine if it is worth upgrading from the 57" sony RP...if it is worth it to sell that for what I can get (maybe $500 ? )....I just fear that I will go through it all and pay out for install/config....and the picture won't be so hot...

but honestly, I don't really see that happening....the bulb was also replaced less than 100 hours ago I believe...

one negative on the 9000 is I'm basically stuck with component and vga (also s-video)....no dvi or anything

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/14313557

The Z9000 was a great projector in its day and it can still hold its own against some newer projectors. But a projector isn't for everyone. Borrow it for awhile and set it up on a table in your living room to see if it projects a good picture in your environment. You can even use a bare wall. White or grey would work the best, but I even project on a green family room wall to somewhat acceptable results. Projectors need dark rooms and often a living room is less than ideal. But you won't know until you try it out. I say go for it.

Jim

As far as the Crestron goes, they're certainly nice, but it may not have a lot of use for your situation, and like you say, it's a small fortune to have reprogrammed.

I'm happy currently with a Harmony 880 (new charging base of course)....His crestron would raise and lower house shutters, the tv "screen" and lights and whatnot....definitely more than I need.

That is a good idea about the "borrow" idea...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Of course you should take it and use it.

Just be sure that you know that front projection for Home Theater requires near darkness for best image - just like a commercial theater requires darkness for its' projection system.

The projector has native 720p resolution and native 16:9 aspect ratio and 5X color wheel speed which are all positives - the only negative I can find in the specs is for some reason it doesn't have a digital input so your best possible dvd input will be component.

We have a 56in 1080p HD TV and it does a great job for a TV BUT it is still just a TV which simply cannot compare with the BIG screen Home Theater experience with a projector.

We had to pay $500 (huge discount price) for our first projector and we went WOW. TV is fine for casual viewing but projector is for Home Theater.

Take it - use it - enjoy the WOW!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc30 /forum/post/14314088

FYI, Widescreen Review's Greg Rogers tested it out at 441 lumens and 735:1 contrast, calibrated for home theater.

Rob

I tried to find this review, but it appears to be unavailable to non subscribers. any other info in there?

also isn't 735:1 contrast really low? pardon my noobness...

·
Registered
945 Posts
A pretty good review overall, except for the contrast (really low by todays standards), which was groundbreaking at that time. Also, that 441 lumens was in high lamp mode; 316 for low.

Rob

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy /forum/post/14313619

I'm mostly trying to determine if it is worth upgrading from the 57" sony RP...if it is worth it to sell that for what I can get (maybe $500 ? )....I just fear that I will go through it all and pay out for install/config....and the picture won't be so hot...

but honestly, I don't really see that happening....the bulb was also replaced less than 100 hours ago I believe...

one negative on the 9000 is I'm basically stuck with component and vga (also s-video)....no dvi or anything

Component will be just fine even with HDM material.

Why surrender your RPTV? Any reason you can't have both?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
I agree with the above poster. Keep the TV and set up the projector so that the screen drops down in front of the TV. Makes for a good set up. TV for casual viewing and projector for the good stuff. Only have to have one sound system also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts