AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FE tech support just told me that 720p is coded from component output only. All the HDTV signal are component output only, none RGB.

I am going to be ill if this is true...

Did I miss something im my readings.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
False alarm.

I forgot that I can always copy down my 720P setting from Powerstrip and create a custom resolution.

Then use that resolution for my output.

SWEEEEET !!!!!!

Well I am off to get another serial cable since mine appear not to be working.

I will be playing with the kids till 9:30 pm and my wife has allowed me stay up late tonight get this working.

clopez

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The custom resolution worked.

I can now get 720p sync properly with RGB.

However it keeps defaulting me to component.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Ohh you got yours finnaly!

Working on some custom resolutions myself today.

Well, what do you think of it?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not been able to realy look at picture quality yet.

However,

Just hooked up my xbox for progressive scan output, I limited it to 480p. DOA 3 looks sweet and awesome and vibrant.

I notice that with the progressive input if you press the input button it toggles between RBG and YBR.

I also have my HTPC being routed through it at 720p. and it looks great.

I will have to calibrate this unit before I can give it a fair review. One thing I love though is the multiple inputs.

clopez

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Clopez,

can you post your settings to create a 720P signal for the RGB output? Thanks....

Jon

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the Powerstip settings I used

For Horizantal

Active pixels : 1280

Front porch :80

Sync width :80

Back porch :208

Total: 1648

For Vertical

Active pixels : 720

Front porch :5

Sync width :5

Back porch :20

Total: 750

Refresh Rate :599.9 (Remember its Refresh rate x 10)

(Power strip is 59.989 )

One of the porch is missing from the custom resolution. I forget which is missing since its not in front of me now.

Some CS-1 resolution settings dont appear to be close to Powerstrip resolutions settings. This is may be why those resolutions appear funny on my projector (meaning the image is shifted right 1/3 of the screen).

clopez

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is a resolution I am trying with my ECP 4500. I am trying to match my QS pro triple resolution for now. Seems to work but among other issues always reverts to YPrPb when coming out of standby or switching inputs. I am far from an expert on custom T&R so maybe the pros can tell me if I'm messing things up.

Intended resolution 720 x 720 @ 60hz

Horizontal

Front porch :75

Sync width :55

Back porch (implied) :20

Total: 870

Vertical

Front porch :27

Sync width :5

Back porch (implied) :38

Total: 790

Vertical Refresh :600

Calculations:

Dot clock: 41.238 Mhz

Horizontal Scan rate: 47.4 Khz

Horizontal Retrace: 3.64 uS

Vertical Retrace: 1477 uS

Everything seems well within the ECP 4500 Specs:

Bandwidth: 70 Mhz

Horizontal Scan rate: 15 Khz - 90 Khz

Horizontal Retrace: 2.50 uS

Vertical Scan rate: 45 hz - 120 hz

Vertical Retrace: 300 uS

Andrew

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree that it is a bit weird but that is the resolution that my QS pro used in the triple mode and I wanted to get things up and running ASAP so I decided to try and start with a res that wouldn't require re-tweaking the proj too much.

There seems to be some logic to this resolution however, as 720 is triple the native 240 interlaced DVD signal height and 720 is the native DVD width. If I wanted to stay with whole number scaling I would have to set the width at 1440 and that's pushing my proj a bit, as would 960p.

I have searched and searched for a definitive answer as to whether whole number scaling matters and the arguments on both sides are convincing. I am starting to believe that this resolution might be the best of both worlds. It is sort of in the realm of whole number scaling and comes close (as far as I can tell) to my projectors sweet spot.

I could be totally wrong about this and anyone who can nudge me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clopez
Here is the Powerstip settings I used

One of the porch is missing from the custom resolution. I forget which is missing since its not in front of me now.

Some CS-1 resolution settings dont appear to be close to Powerstrip resolutions settings. This is may be why those resolutions appear funny on my projector (meaning the image is shifted right 1/3 of the screen).

clopez
You do not need a front porch setting since this is calculated automatically from the sync width and back porch settings.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Increasing horizontal resolution shouldn't be a problem for your projector -- as it is not an electronics-strain-inducing issue (like sync frequencies) but purely a bandwidth issue. For whatever it matters, one can even display 5000x480 on an old 1989 VGA 640x480 monitor as long as it used 640x480 compatible timings, but the bandwidth limitations would simply smear the sharpness (blur) horizontally and/or may induce ringing artifacts. It will not wear down the monitor any faster than plain 640x480 since it's purely a bandwidth issue, as long as the retraces/sync intervals and refresh rates are exactly the same.

The real question is -- will 1440x720 look better than 720x720 on your projector? Give it a try! If you create 1440x720 timings using exactly the same retrace/sync interval timings as 720x720, you can even use the same projector memory for both. Try doubling the numbers horizontally (horiz front/sync/back/active) but keeping vertical the same, and making sure dotclock is exactly double what it was before. Then make sure horiz/vert refresh is exactly the same as before. Now you've got 1440x720 with exactly the same retrace/sync timings and refreshes as 720x720 using exactly the same projector convergence/focus memory, and you can easily & safely make an A/B comparision. Try it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mark,

Great to see you around here. Thanks for a very informative reply. I will try this tonight. I have basically set up my timings by eye and wonder if there are any rules one should follow wrt sync width, back porch sizes etc.

BTW if you are back in Ottawa, I am just around the corner in Montreal and would be happy to show you the CS-1 anytime.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.