AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CALGARY, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 15, 2003--Shaw Cablesystems today announced the addition of two Seattle broadcasters to the company's roster of new High-Definition Television (HDTV) channels. Shaw launched its first HDTV offering in Vancouver and Calgary in January of this year, and now offers four channels broadcasting in full HDTV and one in EDTV.

Shaw's new HDTV lineup in both Vancouver and Calgary is:

Channel 130 - HD1 (the best of HD-ready programming and movies)

Channel 136 - KOMO (ABC Seattle)

Channel 137 - KIRO (CBS Seattle)

Channel 139 - KING (NBC Seattle)

EDTV

Channel 138 - KCPQ (Fox Seattle)

As more HD-ready programming becomes available and more broadcasters begin broadcasting in High-Definition, Shaw will introduce more HDTV content and channels to Shaw Digital customers.

The Shaw Digital Terminal DCT 5100 HD currently retails for $698.98. First time Shaw Digital customers purchasing the 5100 Digital Terminal receive $110 in programming and Pay Per View credits when they sign up for Shaw's Total Entertainment, Total Home or Total Fairchild Package. The DCT 5100 HD Terminals are available direct from Shaw retail outlets in Vancouver and Calgary, as well as selected retailers such as Future Shop, Visions, and A&B Sound.

More details are available at shaw.ca or by calling 1-888-472-2222.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You know what's funny about this? The folks in Calgary will get HD programming on cable far sooner than us folks in Salt Lake. Yah ya, Comcast came to the rescue and we will have it at the end of the summer. That said, I am continually impressed with Canada's strides in the Cable infrostructure area. Cable internet was new in most parts of Canada in 1996. They really didn't start the rollout here in Salt Lake until some three years later to limited parts of the city. They are still not finished - this is the legacy of AT&T broadband.

Michael.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Salt Lake City is a considerably smaller market than Vancouver or Calgary, with metropolitan Vancouver having roughly the population of all Utah.

Part of the reason for the greater pace of improvements in the Canadian cable infrastructure is that the cable industry's mass expansion in Canada took place earlier than in the U.S. (my family had cable in the 1960s, and my grandmother had it in the 1950s) so large portions of it were outdated and needed to be replaced sooner.

·
Registered
514 Posts
"Salt Lake City is a considerably smaller market than Vancouver or Calgary"

I'll agree that we have a smaller market than Vancouver but there is no way we have a smaller market than Calgary - No way. There is almost 2 million people in the Ogden-Salt Lake-Provo area.

Thanks for the explanation about the history of Canada's cable infrastructure.

Michael.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You're defining the market as virtually the entire state, since from the U.S. Census bureau, the population of the entire state of Utah is 2.2 million.

Salt Lake City county itself, however only has a population of 904,000.

What counts most of all, however, is the cable penetration. The Bureau of Broadcast Measurement, a Canadian ratings service, states the Calgary market has a population of 1,288,000 people age 2+, and a cable penetration of 70%, so 901,600 people over 2 in the Calgary market are receiving TV by cable.

Skyreport tells us the cable penetration rate in Utah is only 38% ( http://www.skyreport.com/the_bridge/1102/wrangling.shtm ). Therefore, only 836,000 people in the entire state of Utah are receiving TV by cable, and 343,520 in Salt Lake City county.

·
Registered
514 Posts
"Salt Lake City county itself, however only has a population of 904,000"

Agreed Newbie. But the potential cable market for Comcast Actually goes from Ogden, through Salt Lake and Into Provo-Orem which accounts for approximately 2 million people. The Wasatch front area is pretty much comprised of four counties: Weber, Davis, Salt lake and Utah. The major of the states population resides here. The entire 60+ miles stretch is considered to be one "big" metro area ;)

I'm sure I could find some data somewhere that suggests the penetration rate of cable in Utah is higher than you qouted (38.6%) but in the end I know from personal observation that Canadian cities in general have higher percentages of cable customers due to many factors not the least of which is being bored of watching the CBC all day ;) ;) ;)

Michael.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You haven't told me anything new, Michael. Most cities, including Calgary, have metropolitan areas larger than the city limits. It does remain, however that Calgary's cable market is much larger than Salt Lake City's, the five counties that make up the metropolitan area, and the state of Utah's as a whole..

If you can find another source more reputable than the article in Skyreport, I suggest you find it, rather than claiming you can. In the absence of such evidence, I don't believe you have any cause to cast doubt on their article, which lists its sources for the data, namely Media Business Corp data banks consisting of company reports, SkyTRENDS data and FCC files.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Newbie,

My response focused primarily on your assertion that the POTENTIAL market ie population of Calgary was greater than that of Salt Lake City and the surrounding five counties.

This is where I disagreed with you.

I do not think that the cable penetration figures qouted in your link are inaccurate or somehow suspect. I hoped that the presence of the ;) symbol would let you know that I was just giving you a hard time about the fact that ONE of the reasons why cable penetration is so high in Canada is because of the inability in most markets (including Calgary) to receive over the air (OTA) American television signals.

That's all

Michael.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.