AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in Canada and use a Motorla DCT6416 from Shaw Cable. I'll be moving to Redwood City in a couple of months and I wanted to take my PVR with me ... instead of selling it at a loss and having to rent the one from Comcast.

Does anyone know if Comcast will be willing to add my PVR to their system? or whether or not that would even work?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
99% sure it won't work - they only work on the network they were originally keyed for. So far i'm not aware of anybody who was able to use a DVR from another area, much less a completely different cable provider.

My SA8000HD wouldn't even work at my friend's house in the next town, and we both have TWC and are served by the same office.

·
Registered
65" LG G1 OLED; XBOX Series X; Shaw Fibre+ Gateway (XB6); Shaw 4K Wireless TV Player (Xi6)
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata_lover /forum/post/0

I'm currently in Canada and use a Motorla DCT6416 from Shaw Cable. I'll be moving to Redwood City in a couple of months and I wanted to take my PVR with me... Does anyone know if Comcast will be willing to add my PVR to their system? or whether or not that would even work?

Technically yes but the issue really is whether Comcast will be willing to add the device like Shaw does here (yes, I'm a Canuck too). Many of the units being added to Shaw's network in Canada come originally from Comcast via eBay. Try sending an e-mail to Comcast customer service and see if they will be willing to support you or if they will force you to go with another service provider (e.g., satellite). Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.