AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful color, beautiful transfer, fully restored and worthy of praise.

The movie is boring and the music is terrible.

Just one man's opinion. I like "The Searchers" and John Wayne in general.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
You forgot to mention the movie has the Lovely Maureen O` Hara in her youth and splender! I also own a number of John Wayne films that he directed, his women he picked showed the *Man* in him. Cowboys were rough but around women, this Gentlemen *knew* how to treat the lovely Ladies. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, Maureen O'Hara is neither in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon or The Searchers.

She was in The Quiet Man.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Your entitled to your opinion but I consider She Wore A Yellow Ribbon as one of the very best westerns. It is true that the killing ratio is very small and it is not action packed, that might be what is bothering you.

The quality of the transfer is magnificent technicolor and is sharp and detailed. The movie was filmed in 1949 so for audio what did you expect DTS and booming base?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am entitled to my own opinion.

I already said that the quality of the transfer was magnificent. The picture quality and color are magnificent. The sound quality is adequate. I will repeat...

The movie is boring. The music is terrible. These statements have nothing to do with the DVD, or its quality. I just didn't care for the MOVIE.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread probably should be moved to the movie reviews section, just to clarify what it's all about.

I rewatched She Wore A Yellow Ribbon last night. While it does have some terrific set pieces, i.e., the scene where they present the Colonel with the watch, and the scene between the Colonel and the old indian chief, for the most part this movie has little continuity, and little motivation for character development. I still think the color is dazzling, particularly on this restored Technicolor DVD.

I will be happy to show off this DVD for the color, but the movie isn't a favorite. I guess I prefer a movie with better equilibrium between picture composition and sharp dialogue.

I think that The Searchers is quite superior.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Quote:
This thread probably should be moved to the movie reviews section, just to clarify what it's all about.
Done.

I have the DVD but I haven't watched the movie yet. But I checked out a few chapters and the colors looked beautiful.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon(1949) is the centerpiece of John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy", which began with Fort Apache(1948) and ended with Rio Grande(1950). It is my favorite movie in the trilogy.

John Wayne the actor and John Ford the director collaborated on several other Westerns, IMHO both the first such movie Stagecoach(1939) and both The Searchers(1956) and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance(1962) were superior Western films.

Lastly they togather made one more cavalry movie The Horse Soldiers(1959) which I like a lot - it's the only movie version of "Grierson's Raid", a true Civil War event where a large group of Union cavalrymen galloped all the way from Southern Illinois to New Orleans, which diverted the Confederate Army just enough to ensure Grant a decisive victory at Vicksburg - arguably a turning point of the entire war. Classic cavalry tactics and great action scenes, flawed only by a mistakenly-inserted love story theme that just did not fit. Wayne played Colonel Marlowe (representing Grierson) and the film is much darker and morally ambiguous than the Trilogy - seemingly it's about the futility of war. This was indeed different territory for Ford and Wayne - after working togather on so many gung-ho WW2 films and the Cavalry Trilogy itself.

A little-travelled part of Monument Valley (which straddles both Utah and Arizona) was Ford's favorite setting for his Westerns. He knew just where to go and how to point the cameras to exclude any power lines, modern structures, or paved roads from the picture - he was a great Cinematographer. Unfortunately, his favored shooting area also contained a heavy concentration of nuclear fallout from the Utah surface nuclear test blasts - many cast and crew members developed cancers afterwards, and both Ford and Wayne died from the disease. (John Wayne also made a really terrible film called The Conquerer where he was incredibly miscast as Genghis Kahn, and parts of it were actually filmed inside one such bomb crater, in those happier days when the dangers of radiation were less understood.)

I'll check out the DVD of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - every time it's shown on TV, the print is so faded, it looks like sepia-toned Back and White - a restored version is a real treat.

Gary

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
It's in the mail I have John Wayne and William Holden in the "Horse Soldiers" & "The Searchers" with Natalie Wod and the first captain of the U.S.S Enterprise in ST:TOS Jeffrey Hunter also. I can't wait to see Nathan Brittles who got a letter from then president Ulyses Simson Grant to be an scout. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
(John Wayne also made a really terrible film called The Conquerer where he was incredibly miscast as Genghis Kahn, and parts of it were actually filmed inside one such bomb crater, in those happier days when the dangers of radiation were less understood.)

Get a load of this (hope this link doesn't get me in trouble):

http://www.motherjones.com/news_wire/harris.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.