Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Well I have about 1/2 of my drywall up!!

I am going to cover with Insulshield and GoM fabric.

The question is: Do I mud and tape? Do I skip the mud and tape and use accoustical caulk?

Also, where do I use the accounstical caulking?

Thanks,

I did do a few searches but did not find answer to skipping mudding.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is no reason to use mud and try to make a nice finish for something that's going to be covered by fabric. I did use the accoustic sealant.

Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had two layers of drywall. I caulked all the seams and corners in the first layer. I then hung the second layer and did a "firecode" tape and mud. This is just a basic one-layer mud and tape, no finish work. I then primered the whole thing. I figured the mud and tape would be a good thing to seal - and it makes sure everything passes code. The primer was to keep the dust in.

Of course all painted surfaces were finished with full mud and tape - but the GoM'd surfaces were just firecode + primer.

I don't know the *right* answer to the question - but that's what I did.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
In some localities, local code will require the seams be taped and mudded. You should always prime. In some cases, where mud is required, it is only required if it is the finished, exposed surface. I've also seen cases where it wasn't required for dual layers of drywall with overlapped seams, but, the inspector required it since he didn't see the contractor overlap the seams. If it's not required, there's no sense taking the time to do it. If it is *maybe* required, do it anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Dennis, I didn't even think of priming can you tell me the reason for priming?

Since it is code in some places I think I will do a basic mud and tape. I have decided on only 1 layer of drywall.

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.