AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put up insulation and a layer of 3/4 osb on the walls, what thickness sheetrock should I put up to finish the walls off? Also what thickness should I use for the ceiling? I unfortunately do not have enough height in my room for a drop celing..

Thanks!

Wu-

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
General rule of thumb is usually two layers of drywall, 5/8" over 1/2" or 1/2" over 5/8". (arguments abound for both)

Since you already have 3/4" OSB up I'd say the two layers of drywall might be overkill. Without knowing the acoustical properties of the 3/4" OSB it will be hard to recommend one drywall thickness over the other.

Doesn't look like I answered your question... :(

Hopefully someone with similar construction can give you some insight.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks to you I atleast know the thickness's I should be looking at.. But now which one? Im sure someone can comment on this and point me in the right direction..

Thanks for your input!

Wu-

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chs4
General rule of thumb is usually two layers of drywall, 5/8" over 1/2" or 1/2" over 5/8". (arguments abound for both)

Since you already have 3/4" OSB up I'd say the two layers of drywall might be overkill. Without knowing the acoustical properties of the 3/4" OSB it will be hard to recommend one drywall thickness over the other.

Doesn't look like I answered your question... :(

Hopefully someone with similar construction can give you some insight.
IMHO...

In looking at the size of the OSB (3/4") it would be best to put up 1/2".

The OSB is already close to the 5/8", so 1/2" would be a better bet.

Plus the 1/2" is thinner/lighter so it should be easier to "person" handle around the room. (I wanted to be PC on that... hahaha.)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 1/2" it is!! As soon as I get my speakers and projector I am going to takle the sheetrock..

Thanks again guys for the input!!

Wu-

·
Registered
628 Posts
Am I reading this right? You are putting the rock up directly on the OSB? If so I would suggest you not only screw the rock to the osb, but use some liquid nails as well. Its common practice for the double layer of rock install as well. It will keep any rattles from occuring. In fact I glued my rock to the studs as well. Better to do the extra work now and not worry about chasing rattles latter.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CV63,

Funny I was going to ask about that... Do you have any pictures of your HT?

Later!

Wu-

·
Registered
628 Posts
here is one of the front. Rooms not finished 100% yet. Curtains need to be hemmed and stuff like that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
ok that was the rear not the front.

Here is the front. (dont know why my digital camera sometimes has those light circular spots you see, gotta be the flash)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
For the record, it is less than ideal to use OSB. It is less dense and less effective than drywall. Best case scenarion is two layers of drywall.

In the OSB instance, I'd go with a layer, glued and screwed, of 5/8" drywall.

Ted

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
cv63 - try cleaning the lens...that's most likely the source of your white spots...if there's a little tiny spot on it, when the flash goes off it will create the "halo" effect that you're seeing....(probably drywall dust if you've been working in your HT lately :p)

Not to say you have a grimy lens, but even the smallest particles can cause that halo effect (try driving at night with water droplets on eyeglasses).

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CV63,

Nice!! Very Impressive! Whats the dimensions of your HT?? Is that fabric you have on your walls?

Thanks Again!

Wu-

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Nice!! Very Impressive! Whats the dimensions of your HT?? Is that fabric you have on your walls?
Thanks. It is fabric. Its GOM over Insul shield on the bottom. Plain ol sheetrock on top.

Room is 11.5 w X 25 L X 7'8 H

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get the GOM around here? I live in the same area as you (by Great Adventure), well pretty much anyways....

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Special ordered it at Home Depot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.