AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the projector ordered, and am laying out a plan. My room has a soffit for ventilation that runs across the back of the room. I have a ceiling mount coming so I can mount the projector in front of the soffit giving me approx 14' of throw, or what I would prefer to do is build a shelf under the soffit on the back wall. Questions arise;

1 - If i mount under the soffit, the unit if fairly close to the soffit will be approx 12-14 inches from the actual ceiling. Should this be a concern? Does the HD806 run hot enough to require a lot of room above it?

2 - What benefits would the ceiling mount give vs. the shelf that offset the drawbacks of the shelf, if any?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I feel like a bone head. I'd like to mount under the soffit, but with the vents up there... I guess I could try to drill through the duct metal work and use toggle bolts with silicone to reseal the duct work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I go in-front of the soffit, I'm look at losing the ability to go to a 106" or potentially bigger... I'd be stuck at 100 or perhaps less I'm afraid.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You'll want to do some experimenting when the projector arrives, before you do the final mounting. DLP projectors usually don't have lens shift capability. Instead, they have a fixed offset like in this image , so the location you choose for the projector determines the size and location of your screen. If you need to, you can tilt the projector and use keystone correction - but that isn't optimal. Keystone correction results in unused pixels and a slightly distorted image. Forgive me if you already knew these things... just wanted to make sure you were aware.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bcarlsen... don't worry about speaking "down" to me. I'm 100% new to the projector game. I started down the plasma route early (wish I had that 8k back) with the first gen philips, then the JVC Dila RPs, a few LCDs around the house and am fairly competent in the audio realm.

Projector's are a completely new ballgame and my room size/layout is making things interesting. I've decided to go with the ceiling mount in front of the soffit with gives me about 14 of throw. According to the optoma calcutators it should get me real close to 106" (optoma calculator is more generous than the other ones frequently linked here).

with the ceiling mount Sanus VMPR1S "Visionmount" I'm hoping the image won't be too high up the wall so I can avoid the keystone correction you speak of. My biggest concern is mounting the ceiling mount.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rhino /forum/post/15531983

I'm hoping the image won't be too high up the wall so I can avoid the keystone correction you speak of.

The Optoma calculator also shows you the offset when you enter a projection distance. The offset is the distance from the center of the lens to the top of the image when the projector is ceiling mounted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.