AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a Marantz av8801 and narrowed down my choices of amps to the Sherbourn 7-150(I can get dealer Pricing)or an Outlaw 7200 or 7125. or 7700:D

my room is approx 30x25

quite a jump in $ from the sherbourn to the 7200 and more so with the 7700(worried about that hum issue...),

would it be worth it?

thanks

scotto

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
There is also the Sherbourn PA 7-350 and the Emotiva XPR 7 is just around the corner at 7 x 375 watts. I'm guessing it is going to cost about as much as the PA 7-350 since they are likely the same beast inside. Outlaw/ATI make good amps as well and you can't go wrong choosing those either. Specs/gains are a little better on the Outlaw/ATI stuff but it is probably not enough to tell by listening to them.

30 x 25 is a lot of room to fill. There is never such a thing as too much power and most of here recommend that you get as much as you can afford. Get whatever your speakers can handle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jevans64, I'm trying to keep the amp under one chassis.

I wish I could buy 3 amps or so and do a shootout, but dont really have the time...and my back couldnt take the lifting...

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
What is your dealer pricing on the PA 7-150? Have you checked the Sherbourn website as you can directly buy it from the manufacturer for $1349.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole  /t/1468419/sherbourn-7-150-or-outlaw-7200-7125#post_23207745

What is your dealer pricing on the PA 7-150? Have you checked the Sherbourn website as you can directly buy it from the manufacturer for $1349.
its cheeper...

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
What speakers will you be driving? What are you expectations WRT volume levels? With a room that size, you may need the extra power of a 7200. Outlaw does have sales and B stock pricing, which would help somewhat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got episode 700 series in walls and in ceilings for surrounds.

I'm not sure about expectations, first time I've done separates. also first time in this room.

I have access to marantz,parasound classic series,sherbourn. just trying to get the most wattage/sq for my $

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok,I've now narrowed down to the marantz 8807 and the sherbourn 7-150. I can get dealer pricing and its one chassis.

I may buy both and try them out...

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Those episodes have a lower efficiency rating and being in walls/ceilings and in a room that large, I'll be interested to hear your impressions with either amp. Earlier I was curious as to your volume expectations, but I worded it poorly. What I was asking is what level do you play your movies at? What are you comfortable with? This is important because in a new room that large you may not even be able to achieve the same volume level anymore. And with speakers having an efficiency of 85db, you may need to give any amp you employ quite a work out. On the other hand, if you prefer lower volumes only then it might not be an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not even sure of the volume leval, we have 4 kids and mostly view things in our livingroom...so not that loud.

my wife is always saying, "turn it down"

the efficiency rating makes me think I need to maybe go with the 7700/7200

not sure about the balanced 7700 since the 8801 is not truly balanced...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
then again we are talking 125/150/200 watts, I think I'm definetly rulling out the 7125 and the marantz(I thinks its around 108watts for all ch driven)

so i guess thats its between the 7-150 and the 7200/7700...

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
So it sounds like you run the system quieter rather than louder, but it's nice to be able to turn it up when no one's home! I'd suggest you could do fine with the Sherbourn. My personal preference is to avoid Sherbourn/Emotiva since most of their amps have smaller power supplies/caps than the competition at a given wattage, but that's my bias. They do have great warranties.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin'  /t/1468419/sherbourn-7-150-or-outlaw-7200-7125#post_23223018

So it sounds like you run the system quieter rather than louder, but it's nice to be able to turn it up when no one's home! I'd suggest you could do fine with the Sherbourn. My personal preference is to avoid Sherbourn/Emotiva since most of their amps have smaller power supplies/caps than the competition at a given wattage, but that's my bias. They do have great warranties.

exactly, when no ones home its loud! I prob. just need to bite the bullet and get the outlaw 7700, I figure I should be good for a long time with that amp...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts