AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
26,933 Posts
Hi Ralph,

I found the sound track very good but the PQ was sharp but a bit on the dark side losing some black detail in a few scenes. I notice you noted some good black levels but did you not see some crushed blacks in portions of the film? Was this past of the reason for a 86 video score?

I enjoyed the flick! Nice review.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hi Ralph,

I agree with the bland on this one... The image was quite sharp but sometimes the black was crushed... The audio is really good though....

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/18415005

Hi Ralph,

I found the sound track very good but the PQ was sharp but a bit on the dark side losing some black detail in a few scenes. I notice you noted some good black levels but did you not see some crushed blacks in portions of the film? Was this past of the reason for a 86 video score?

I enjoyed the flick! Nice review.

Greetings,

Jeff, I noted that and made a minor deduction for it however this was also the case with its theatrical presentation and appears innate.

Regards,

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Hi Ralph,

Love your thread, first place I go to read about a new release.

Great flick, love the ending. Audio was great, as the effects were new and fresh, not just bam boom. Video, the smoke filled room with the sun light, just WOW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just watched it for the first time last night. Loved it. The bass thats present when it zooms out to see Blackwood's dead body at the bridge is crazy!

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18415522

Hi Ralph,

Love your thread, first place I go to read about a new release.

Great flick, love the ending. Audio was great, as the effects were new and fresh, not just bam boom. Video, the smoke filled room with the sun light, just WOW.

Greetings,

Regards,

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Thanks Ralph,

Another spot on review as the 92 for audio was well deserved and the 86 for video was right on time too.

I had to listen close and fast at times to keep up with the dialogue and the overall look of the video fit well with the era.

I really enjoyed the movie and will be adding it to my collection.

Warren

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/18430196

Thanks Ralph,

Another spot on review as the 92 for audio was well deserved and the 86 for video was right on time too.

I had to listen close and fast at times to keep up with the dialogue and the overall look of the video fit well with the era.

I really enjoyed the movie and will be adding it to my collection.

Warren

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Warren.

Regards,

·
Registered
101 Posts
We just watched this one last night and really enjoyed it. The audio was phenomenal!! In fact, we watched 2012 right after this one and expected more out of the audio on it, but I found that old Sherlock had it beat in the audio department, and killed it in the entertainment department.

Dale.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Just picked it up today and cant wait to check it out ! Looks like you guys approve of this one

·
Registered
43 Posts
I watched the Blu-ray of this last week and liked it but found I had trouble understanding Downey's dialog on occasion. I wonder if anyone else noticed this problem? Downey, an American of course, had to fake an English accent, which may have been part of the problem. I had no such trouble understanding Jude Law, who is English. I played the disc on the PS3 Slim hooked directly with an HDMI cable to the TV.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotapix /forum/post/18432561

I watched the Blu-ray of this last week and liked it but found I had trouble understanding Downey's dialog on occasion. I wonder if anyone else noticed this problem? Downey, an American of course, had to fake an English accent, which may have been part of the problem. I had no such trouble understanding Jude Law, who is English. I played the disc on the PS3 Slim hooked directly with an HDMI cable to the TV.

Welcome Dakotapix!,

Yeah, the dialogue at times was low and spoken fast so it was an effort to follow what was being said. I had trouble, of sorts, with both actors but after a bit and I was able to keep up..

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I'll be watching it the next few days and i'll let you guys know if I have a dialogue issue to . My center channel is pretty huge and everything is dialed in pretty good and never had problems with Dialogue ever before so will see .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Movie was good. But on my Samsung BD1250 it has micro-skips several times through the movie. I have the latest firmware from Nov-09 on the player. Havn't tried the movie in another machine yet.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Ok guys getting ready to throw this one in and i'll let you know how the Dialogue is on my setup .

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Great movie I really enjoyed it and thankyou for the great review Ralph
I found the video to be highly detailed and very well done as far as the audio it was amazing also but like others have mentioned I found myself reaching for the remote more than normal so I could increase the volume for some of the dialogue but mostly when Downey was speaking and it seemed more so in the beginning of the movie because as the movie went on I could hear him better maybe it was a combo of his whispering and his heavy english accent like mentioned . What a great movie though and glad to have added it to my collection

·
Registered
52 Posts
I watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Story, visuals, and performances were all well done. Like others, I did have a few moments where I could not understand the dialogue (for example when Holmes is analyzing Watson's bride-to-be), but for the most part the sound was superb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been reading these forums for about 3 yrs now...Everyone has been more than helpful in getting detailed answers to all sorts of questions which I shared with other inquiring minds.

Ralph, I've been getting into your reviews for months now, and envy your job; but wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your detailed and articulate reviews.

I didn't get to catch Sherlock in theaters, however, I doubt it could have been any more enjoyable than my home viewing experience was. Great job with the review, the audio and video numbers are spot-on and you are always very precise. Keep up the good work!

Justin

21 - 40 of 73 Posts