AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHTnut26 /forum/post/18439082

Been reading these forums for about 3 yrs now...Everyone has been more than helpful in getting detailed answers to all sorts of questions which I shared with other inquiring minds.

Ralph, I've been getting into your reviews for months now, and envy your job; but wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your detailed and articulate reviews.

I didn't get to catch Sherlock in theaters, however, I doubt it could have been any more enjoyable than my home viewing experience was. Great job with the review, the audio and video numbers are spot-on and you are always very precise. Keep up the good work!

Justin

Greetings,

Thanks much Justin! Don't be a stranger and Welcome (officially
) to AVS.

Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ralph been lurking around the forums & your reviews for a while now & I thought since I will be uploading my own video review of Sherlock Holmes to youtube today I figured this was a good a post as any to start replying. Your reviews are always the most accurate anywhere on the web & truly envy your job keep up the great work!

I really really enjoyed this film & the Blu Ray. I think the thing that gets lost here is that this film is a far more accurate representation of Sir Artur Conan Doyle's version than anything previous screen adaption film or television before it. Any fan of the book source material like myself will absolutely love this film & if you aren't a fan this is without a doubt the place to start!

While there could have more special features for sure the Maximum Movie Mode is far more in depth than any other title in my collection with this feature. Hearing & seeing Guy Ritchie talk about Sherlock Holmes it truly feels as though it was a labor of love for him & his cure. The Focus Points & the Sherlock Holmes Reinvented featurette are also very good.

The picture quality is perfect in the sense that it mirrors the films theatrical release perfectly no DNR, visual artifacting or edge enhancement are present anywhere & as Ralph stated the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio mix makes for sound than is actually better than the cinema experience was for this film.

The only thing that for myself makes this a 4 star out of 5 star release is it's small amount of special features which is a very disturbing tend for Blu Ray as a whole recently that must come to an end! Overall for me this is a can't miss enjoyable pickup that will not cause you to regret it!

·
Premium Member
23,665 Posts
This is one of the best film I have seen lately. Thoroughly enjoyed it and the pq and sq outstanding.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Saw this one in the theater last December I think and liked it more than I was prepared to. Bought the BD. I think Ritchie did a good job. I own Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. He has a eye and more precisely an good ear for the lower strata of English/London society.

Hans Zimmer's frenetic score was catchy and worked nicely as well. Didn't care much for the cinematography but then I hold a low opinion of the look of most movies over the last 15-20 yrs - too arty. The drained, monochromatic dull appearance of many movies is a bore nowadays and has been for some time. I was hoping that this "trend" might abate but such is not the case.

The "Maximum Movie Mode" was ok. This was the first or second time I sat through one of these "enhanced" experiences. I think it outrageous that these materials aren't simply made available to access as one would wish in a supplemental section. To have to sit through a movie possibly multiple times to get this extra content is absurd (Boy, I think Van Ling blew it with the Skynet Edition of T2 on BD. Sad, considering the super job he has done on other special editions elsewhere). I would suppose this is just one of my major pet peeves with Blu-ray. This format has a LONG way to go to finally get it "right" IMHO.

All in all though a fun reimagining of old Sherlock. Traditionalists will probably weep though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah, "Maximum Movie Mode" is a real chore. I don't mind its inclusion for those who fancy such things but I'd rather have the option of some well organised and meaty supplements (not a few brief focus points).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Loved this on Blu-Ray. Highly entertaining movie in it's own right...but on Blu-Ray, looked and sounded great! Near reference quality sound, great detailed picture! Was a blind buy for me and I'm happy I purchased.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The beginning of this film was fantastic. Intrigue, suspense, cool effects, great characters... It even continued through the first 2/3 of the movie. Somehow after that point, I started to lose my interest. It still kept me involved, but not hanging on a thread like the beginning of the movie.

The ending was soft, leaving me with a somewhat unsatisifying conclusion. Overall, I would still recommend this to friends, but would warn them that it starts to drag a little in parts.

Picture quality and sound were both fantastic in all aspects. Very enjoyable to watch and listen to.

PQ 4.5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 3.5 out of 5.

Dan

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
Watched this last night and it was a great rental. Enjoyed the movie. PQ was good, and AQ was excellent and for me just shy of reference.

·
Premium Member
6,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18464351

Watched this last night and it was a great rental. Enjoyed the movie. PQ was good, and AQ was excellent and for me just shy of reference.

Hey Toe....I'm glad you liked the PQ along with the AQ. We are having ourselves a little debate on the Blu-ray PQ thread with some condemning the PQ and recommending one of the lower tiers. I would encourage you to post a review there; it would be nice to have another *positive* review that may help put this title where it belongs (which would be at least Tier Gold).

·
Registered
16,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg /forum/post/18464851

Hey Toe....I'm glad you liked the PQ along with the AQ. We are having ourselves a little debate on the Blu-ray PQ thread with some condemning the PQ and recommending one of the lower tiers. I would encourage you to post a review there; it would be nice to have another *positive* review that may help put this title where it belongs (which would be at least Tier Gold).

Hey djoberg.

I would be happy to, but man I dont know if I could write a review that would be worthy of that thread.
I commonly miss a lot of the things you guys catch over there if you have read the few reviews I have done in the past there
. So while SH looked good to me, it might just be my attention to detail is not that great.

Having said that, I will go check out what is going on over there and if I feel I can add anything of any worth, I will do my best at a review.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/18400810

I wish Directors would give up on the notion that previous generations did not have color in their world. These limited color palets distract from the story.

Making a bad looking film (intentionally) seems to be in vogue right now.

That's hilarious, because every time my grandpa talks about when he was a child, I always think of his world being black and white LOL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the regular reviews ... one comment: your region code information is frequently wrong ... this title, for example is A, B and C ... I know that because I can't play region A coded discs. Same is true of Ninja Assassin ...

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotapix /forum/post/18432561

I watched the Blu-ray of this last week and liked it but found I had trouble understanding Downey's dialog on occasion. I wonder if anyone else noticed this problem? Downey, an American of course, had to fake an English accent, which may have been part of the problem. I had no such trouble understanding Jude Law, who is English. I played the disc on the PS3 Slim hooked directly with an HDMI cable to the TV.

rented this last night and I had trouble understanding Downey's fast and soft dialog with his fake accent as well. I have a pretty darn good setup so I know that's not the problem.

I found myself wanting to go up 4 or 5 notches on the center to try and understand it.

This really took away from the movie for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra /forum/post/18433311

Movie was good. But on my Samsung BD1250 it has micro-skips several times through the movie. I have the latest firmware from Nov-09 on the player. Havn't tried the movie in another machine yet.

I got the skips too, on my LGBH200.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla /forum/post/18540789

rented this last night and I had trouble understanding Downey's fast and soft dialog with his fake accent as well. I have a pretty darn good setup so I know that's not the problem.

I found myself wanting to go up 4 or 5 notches on the center to try and understand it.

This really took away from the movie for me.

+1

The dialog issue was a big negative as far as I am concerned. I remember having a similar prpblem with Public Enemies as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Excellent film on all counts, Direction, Cast, Photography, Art Direction and Score. The action scenes were very creative. I've been a Guy Ritchie fan, he didn't disappoint me.

Loved the Score.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I blind bought this Blu-Ray on release week on a whim and ended up enjoying the movie much more than I thought I would. I thought Robert Downey Jr. was excellent as Holmes and loved the dialogue between Downey Jr. and Law.

The movie was a good solid popcorn movie.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I decided to rent first, as I was skeptical about Downey Jr's casting as Holmes. I have to say I was impressed. I am a big fan of Guy Ritchies' films, and his adaptation of Conan Doyle's famous character was a new slant, and a breath of fresh air. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and eagerly await the second installment.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts