Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just upgraded from a pair of mini monitors to Pardigm Studio 100's and all I can say is wow!

What I would like to do now is get into separates but since I just got the 100's I don't have a lot of change.

I've been thinking of the Sherwood 9080 pre and amp combo. I can get it for under $1300 dollars. Does anyone have this combo and is this a good combo. Or is there something else that someone can recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
PhillipC,

I have the Newcastle AVP-9080 pre/pro and for the money(at least based on what I paid for it) it is the best value pre/pro IMO. Sonically it is very clean in stereo, DD, and DTS. The sound from the 9080 is better than I've heard from any receiver preamp section. However it does have its weaknesses. The other DSP modes are useless, but that applies to most DSP modes I've heard as well. The remote kinda sucks. Actually, it sucks big time but my requirements for a remote are not that high. It only has 3 digital inputs. One for laser disc, one optical and one coax digital in so if you're planning to hookup lots of digital sources, you're going to need a digital switch box. Other than that I really don't have any other complaints.

I do not have any experience with the Newcastle amp. I had my setup running through an Acurus A125x5 amp and was very, very pleased with the performance and have recently upgraded the amp to an ATI AT2505 which has taken my music and HT listening experience to a new level! I have read positive things about the Newcastle amp at www.audioreview.com.

Anyways, I do not think you can go wrong with the Newcastle pre/pro from my experience with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick upate:

Managed to get a very good deal on a dealer demo Musical Fidelity pre/amp combo.

Sounds fantastic with the Paradigms

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.