Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought my Sherwood Newcastle R-965 receiver. Since uve upgraded everything in my HT except for the speakers I think it may be time. Currently im using Jamo X series speakers which sound ok.

Baring price, what is a really good matching brand of speakers for Sherwood Newcastle receivers ??? Ill decide on price after i get some adice as to best tonal match for receiver (looking at about $2500 - $3000 for full set of 7.1 speakers)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sherwood owners ???? what speakers are u using?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Kef Reference Model 3 (fronts)

Kef Reference Model 1 (rears)

Kef Reference Model 200 (center)

However these speakers aren't available anymore, so the info won't do you a whole lot of good. They're large full-frequency systems (no sub-woofer needed) and are EXtremely neutral so they go very well IMHO with the clean neutral sound of the Sherwood. Overall best sound I have personally ever heard (and I've heard a LOT os systems in the last 40 or so years)!

:D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm using my 965 Pre/Pro with Carver and Integra amps connected to B&W 700 series for LCR, a B&W 600 series for the center rear, Paradigm ADP350's for the surrounds and a James sub.

I'm happy!

Bill

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Dazbug,

Im "guessing" you have roughly converted the $ for the US viewers? :)

So probably doubt that say $5000 or so AUD? (given we get shafted for everything :( )

You may find "some" speakers that are good value in the states vs other speakers that are not are on a different "price" level here, especially US based gear vs UK etc. Hence 'may' get mixed opinions.

While i don't have a the receiver you list, if my AUD $ guess is close then i suggest auditioning some Quad L series. It seems these are $$$$$$ too much in the US vs competitors but as we get shafted here for everything its a little different :)

If it was 5.1 i'd suggest 22L's for the mains, quad centre and 11L's for the rears, but this may be a bit much. How big is your room?

You could do 12L mains, Centre, 11L rears + sorrounds

Go a HSU sub from West State AV in WA www.hsuresearch.com.au

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have an A-965 feeding a Rotel RMB-1066 amp (run bridged for 150 X 3 L/C/R) and I am using the external direct inputs of my old Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX AVR to power all four surrounds.

Speakers are Vandersteen 1C for FL/FR/SL/SR, Vandersteen VCC-1 center and Paradigm Atoms on high stands for BL/BR, and a Def Tech PF-15 sub, fed through both a Paradigm X-30 and then a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro (1124P). Sources are Rotel RCD-02 CDP, Toshiba SD-2109 DVDP, Thorens TT/Shure pickup, Dish 500 receiver and several S-VHS VCRs. The front 1Cs are on the stands made for them on spikes, and the surround 1Cs are on a double-stack of cinderblocks.

With better source material, this combo can be awesome. Soundstage is wide, tall and extends into my room and even behind me (in stereo!), although there is little depth behind the front speakers. This might be because of the 55" RPTV sitting between and just behind the front 1Cs. I have had (even before the P-965) a bit of spotlighting in the brightness range (4-8kHz) that is, for me, unpleasant. I have backed off the treble controls on the 1Cs to -2dB, and have installed some auralex-type foam panels on some of the reflection points. While these measures have helped, I would still like to mellow out that brightness range further. I am planning a front L/C/R amp upgrade next Spring. My room is surely part of the problem, as it is an irregularly-shaped basement with a very low ceiling (6'). If you have a more conventional room, I would expect these speakers to work better than they do for me. When set up properly (takes a bit of time), the 1Cs can sound wonderful - detailed, smooth, grain and box-resonance free, with excellent decay and huge 3-D sound stage. They don't do big deep bass, but crossed over at 80Hz, they were easy for me to blend with my sub.

The 1Cs list for ~$800/pr, the VCC-1 is ~$500 and the Atoms are $189/pr. The Def Tech is older, and for the $700 I paid for it, you can get a decent Hsu or Outlaw sub. That puts you right at about $3K. www.vandersteen.com for more info.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Ill have to strt shopping around. I thin k Ill stick to around AU $2500 (minus sub). :)

Keepo the suggestiuons coming, :)

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I thougth I would just add a bit to this thread.

This past weekend, about 20 of us got to demo the S/N R-965 with a variety of speakers from Axiom, AV123, and Ascend Acoustics.

The unit work great with all the speakers, allowed the speakers to shine and display their own characteristics. It didn't break a sweat in the whole process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.