AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Sherwood RX-5502, the complete setup is:

3 pairs of 8 ohm speakers hooked up to 3 of the 4 speaker terminals on the back. Also there are 3 Russound LPT-x Volume controls for each pair of speakers. On B & C I each have a pair of speakers(4 total) with thefollowing specs: Specifications: Power handling: 30 watts RMS/45 watts max Impedance: 8 ohms Frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz SPL: 89 dB 1W/1m. On A I have a single pair of speakers with the following specs: Specifications: Power handling: 75 watts RMS/125 watts max Impedance: 8 ohms Frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz Sensitivity: 89 dB 1W/1m . When I play B & C together everything is fine and the RX-5502 runs cool and doesn't go into protection and I get good volume. When I turn on A the RX-5502 starts to get hot and goes into protection. It doesn't matter if A B & C are on or just A the unit gets hot and turns off. Are the speakers on A too much for this system or am I missing some impedance matching?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Make sure the speaker wire is not causing a short of some kind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thansk very much for th replies, I'm pretty sure the speaker wires aren't touching a post, becasue i;ve re-seated them all a bunch of times, also i shoudl have said that its not immediately shutting off, it only gets hot when i put the main Volume on 55-60 and turn alls the VC's to max, then it starts pouring heat and smells like burning plastic, then after a while of that it will go into protection. i turn everything up because its so dam quiet at mid volume, not good enough for me. my problem is undrstanding exactley how this amp works. I thought i bought 4 amps in one when really this is a 2 channel amp with 4 posts. i think......lets say i wanted to use the VC's to match the impedance, would i hook everything up to one set of terminals, or would i want to bridge the connections? Also with the 4 sets of terminals which ones are the actual A & B, is it A & B, or is it A & C, with B & D as the "extra" ones that are only switchable?

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Looking at the manual, it seems the A+B and C+D are connected in parallel as the manual suggests using 16Ω speakers when using A+B or C+D. I would think if you set the VCs connected to the A+B properly so the 5502 sees an 8Ω load you should be fine. There should be no issue with the lone set on the C posts.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Likely yes as the amp sees (4) 4Ω speakers and the load is too much at higher volumes, although not sure why you're having the issue with only the A speakers set to ON, unless there is an issue with the B speaker VC. Although your issue will likely go away once you have the A+B VC's correctly set for 2 pairs of speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to send an update. I set up the big pair of speakers on A set to 1x on the Russound VC. the two other sets are set up as 2x on the VC on SPkr terms C & D, it works at about 50 or 52 anything higher than that we get some heat. I think that has to do with the tiny tiny spkers i bought, should have went with 8 inchers, anywho I bought a Pyle hybrid amp

P3201ATU to beef up the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.