AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I had inherited a Panasonic 27" Gaoo CRT TV from my folks that they had purchased from Sears in 1994 for $999 and it is still going strong, but the colors have faded considerably. Being 15 years old and a very loyal tv I decided to promote it to the bedroom.

Because that the old Panasonic had been so faithful I felt obligated to stay with that company. So after much procrastination and deliberation I shelled out the greenbacks for my first plasma. She arrived two days ago boasting from the back of the delivery truck from inside her box, about her about her THX and 1080p display. I noticed the neighbors gazing as the G10 was carried by two men into my house and I was thrilled. They put her together and I just stood back in amazement of her beauty, her lines and curves and how damn thin she was, and then I turned her on. Man, was I in heaven. They left and we were alone at last. I fooled around with her a little, pushing her buttons and then decided to start the break-in slides.

I sat on the couch in front of her for literally an hour just watching the slides fade into each other, feeling very fulfilled. Being the videophile that I am, I than went right up to the Plasma and inspected every inch of the screen......

And there it was, a dead pixel. Now, I don't know how I feel about this issue but it definitely weighs on me. I can't see any imperfection unless I'm right up close to her, about 2 feet. I would never have noticed at all if it if it hadn't been for the slides. Not even all the slides show the lazy bastard, just green and white ones. A buddy told me that sometimes with Plasma's, a dead pixel can become active as the phosphors settle in over time. No one can tell, not even my girlfriend(she loves it by the way but hints that she's a little starved for attention). I love this Plasma and can't see any imperfection from where I sit, but I know it's there and thats why I'm on the fence. Being as its still in the 30 day return I could get another one but there is no guarantee that that one will be any better. What if the replacement has 3 or 4 dead pixels? I also heard that if you have 1 dead pixel it will inevitably lead to more down the road. Also, I have reason to believe that Panasonic will not be sympathetic over 1 dead pixel. I think, subconsciously, I just need a little feedback from people that I can associate with, which is my reasoning for this post.

Thanks for your time guys.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golyith /forum/post/16917277

Gentlemen,

I had inherited a Panasonic 27" Gaoo CRT TV from my folks that they had purchased from Sears in 1994 for $999 and it is still going strong, but the colors have faded considerably. Being 15 years old and a very loyal tv I decided to promote it to the bedroom.

Because that the old Panasonic had been so faithful I felt obligated to stay with that company. So after much procrastination and deliberation I shelled out the greenbacks for my first plasma. She arrived two days ago boasting from the back of the delivery truck from inside her box, about her about her THX and 1080p display. I noticed the neighbors gazing as the G10 was carried by two men into my house and I was thrilled. They put her together and I just stood back in amazement of her beauty, her lines and curves and how damn thin she was, and then I turned her on. Man, was I in heaven. They left and we were alone at last. I fooled around with her a little, pushing her buttons and then decided to start the break-in slides.

I sat on the couch in front of her for literally an hour just watching the slides fade into each other, feeling very fulfilled. Being the videophile that I am, I than went right up to the Plasma and inspected every inch of the screen......

And there it was, a dead pixel. Now, I don't know how I feel about this issue but it definitely weighs on me. I can't see any imperfection unless I'm right up close to her, about 2 feet. I would never have noticed at all if it if it hadn't been for the slides. Not even all the slides show the lazy bastard, just green and white ones. A buddy told me that sometimes with Plasma's, a dead pixel can become active as the phosphors settle in over time. No one can tell, not even my girlfriend(she loves it by the way but hints that she's a little starved for attention). I love this Plasma and can't see any imperfection from where I sit, but I know it's there and thats why I'm on the fence. Being as its still in the 30 day return I could get another one but there is no guarantee that that one will be any better. What if the replacement has 3 or 4 dead pixels? I also heard that if you have 1 dead pixel it will inevitably lead to more down the road. Also, I have reason to believe that Panasonic will not be sympathetic over 1 dead pixel. I think, subconsciously, I just need a little feedback from people that I can associate with, which is my reasoning for this post.

1 pixel out of what a few hundred thousand???...forget it and enjoy. I have never heard of dead pixel spreading like a sickness. All the trouble you would have to go through to exchange it and no guarantees the new one would be 100% perfect.

I say keep her.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/16917308

a few million pixels. not sure how common dead/stuck pixels are.

what size tv did you get?

2,073,600 pixels on a 1920x1080 set to be exact.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you think any less of your girlfriend even though she may have a misplaced freckle somewhere? Of course not - you learn to love her even more because of this. And so it should be with the dead pixel on your G10.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptonydog /forum/post/16917346

Do you think any less of your girlfriend even though she may have a misplaced freckle somewhere? Of course not - you learn to love her even more because of this. And so it should be with the dead pixel on your G10.

i know i wouldn't be happy if i had a dead pixel on mine. it seems crazy, but that's the way i am. i like all my stuff to be perfect.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16917360

i know i wouldn't be happy if i had a dead pixel on mine. it seems crazy, but that's the way i am. i like all my stuff to be perfect.

+1 - I would not keep a tv with a dead pixel.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16917388

if you can only see it from 2 ft away you are obsessing over something unimportant. if it is noticeable from your seat many feet away, that's another story. send her back.

this does make sense, but if the OP is like me, it will be in the back of his mind every time he watches it. i know i may be anal, but that's me.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:

.....Being the videophile that I am, I than went right up to the Plasma and inspected every inch of the screen......

And there it was, a dead pixel. Now, I don't know how I feel about this issue but it definitely weighs on me. I can't see any imperfection unless I'm right up close to her, about 2 feet. I would never have noticed at all if it if it hadn't been for the slides.

Being as its still in the 30 day return I could get another one but there is no guarantee that that one will be any better. What if the replacement has 3 or 4 dead pixels? I also heard that if you have 1 dead pixel it will inevitably lead to more down the road. Also, I have reason to believe that Panasonic will not be sympathetic over 1 dead pixel. I think, subconsciously, I just need a little feedback from people that I can associate with, which is my reasoning for this post.

This is why people shouldn't get up close and look for problems. I refuse to get any closer than my closest viewing distance.

Panasonic won't be sympathetic over one dark pixel that can't be seen from a normal viewing distance. There have been a number of guys here who returned their TV because it had one or two bad pixels, only to have even more bad pixels or other problems (like buzzing) on the replacement set. I'm pretty anal myself, but i wouldn't return the TV because of one bad pixel that i can't see from my seat.

Here's Panasonic's official pixel policy from the manual:

Some spots remain bright or dark

The Plasma panel is made up of a few million pixels and

is produced with advanced technology through an intricate

process. Sometimes a few pixels may be bright or dark.

These pixels do not indicate a defective panel and will

have no impact on the performance of the TV.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
i had a stuck pixel on my sammy a450, and i knew exactly where it was, and i couldn't see it from 12 feet away in my seat, so i just ignored it. never thought about it. now, if it was bright red and in the middle of the screen that might have been a different story. but it was in the lower left hand portion of the screen, and i never noticed it, unless i specifically looked for it, and i would have to get within 8 or 9 feet to start seeing it, and that is only if i looked real hard. and this was on a 768p, so the pixels were bigger. should be even harder to see on a 1080p with twice as many pixels in the same area.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:

..... I just need a little feedback from people that I can associate with, which is my reasoning for this post.

Having spent far too long deciding to purchase my 111, once I had it I couldn't bring myself to do the upclose pixel inspection. The possibility of dead pixels had me depressed, can you imagine facing the reality of one ? Soooo..... I had the stepson do it. He checked meticulously while I sat 8 feet away watching him. He gave it a clean bill of health and I never second guessed him. Never have or will inspect it too closely myself. Ignorance can be bliss. Your whole post considered, I think you'll be happy keeping it.

Scotty

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16917476

i had a stuck pixel on my sammy a450, and i knew exactly where it was, and i couldn't see it from 12 feet away in my seat, so i just ignored it. never thought about it. now, if it was bright red and in the middle of the screen that might have been a different story. but it was in the lower left hand portion of the screen, and i never noticed it, unless i specifically looked for it, and i would have to get within 8 or 9 feet to start seeing it, and that is only if i looked real hard. and this was on a 768p, so the pixels were bigger. should be even harder to see on a 1080p with twice as many pixels in the same area.

I saw a 42b450 at bestbuy with 4-6 dead pixels, that would annoy me. At 1080p I don't think I would mind..........

Pretty sure my 22" 1680x1050 monitor has a few dead pixels that I could care less about. The blur I get from down this forum makes me want to murder people though, I can't read the text at all till I stop scrolling.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm in the "don't worry about it" camp. If you won't ordinarily notice it, it makes no sense to go to the trouble of replacing her, especially since the replacement could be worse. Looking for absolute perfection is a fool's quest.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
One dead pixel at 2' viewing distance and you cannot see it from your normal seating, and everything else works perfectly on the set?

Keep the set and enjoy... Because if you replace it, you will probably find something wrong with the replacement too.

And take Randy's advice, keep your nose away from the set. I refuse to poke around mine, other than sticking my ear up to it to find the buzz that all Samsungs are said to have. No buzz here, and I left the pixel peeping to my wife, as she is blind as a bat at that distance. She said all is good, and that is good enough for me.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your input guys.

I called Panasonic and they said that dead pixels on plasma's are very rare and that the set has a defect. They informed me that if it was one of their LCD's that it would be negligible and they would not consider it a defect. They informed me that if my vendor would exchange it I should. I have friends that have Plasma's and none of theirs have any dead pixels. The thought of spending all this money to have something like this in the back of my mind every time I'm watching her is too much to bare. I think she's going back....

Thanks again gentlemen.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had a red stuck pixel on my new Pio 5020. They (BB) exchanged it quickly and without any hassles. A dead pixel may be one thing, but I was able to spot this red pixel from 7ft away. Once you see it, your eyes will keep gravitating towards it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts