AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never heard of this technique before. Found this reference at the following URL:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...etproofing.php

Quote:
Shielded speaker cable? Definitely! Belden #8718 is a 12-AWG twisted pair with a foil shield and drain wire for an easy connection to earth ground. Connect the 12-AWG twisted pair to the appropriate amp and loudspeakers terminals. The drain wire should be connected to earth ground at one point only. I have it easy here in my listening room because my power amp chassis is connected to earth ground. Do not connect the drain wire to the speaker. If you don't have a readily available earth ground on your equipment, I suggest running the drain wire to the earth ground of your a.c. line. There are special a.c. socket plugs that have an earth ground connection only.

If you are connecting the drain wire to earth ground, do not connect that drain wire to either wire of the twisted pair. Also, don't leave the drain wire unconnected as it can act as a very good receiving antenna.

Shielding your speaker cables will greatly reduce static electricity that can form on cables when they rest on a carpeted floor, especially on cold, dry days. Shielded a.c. line cords can also help under strong interference conditions.
Has anyone done this in their HT project?

--curtis

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, that's right!! I had forgotten about the snake oil effect of speaker cables (not to be confused with skin effect :)

Thanks for setting me straight!

--curtis

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The static buildup only occurs on very cold days when the wire runs back and forth on the carpet to keep warm. Even then, the charge stays on the surface and is only a danger to very small animals. This effect is beneficial as it can kill mice and entertain by launching pets into the air.

BTW, the admin folks would rather we didn't use the "s-o" words.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tvtech1
Is 'spade' banned as well?
It depends on the context. ;)

But seriously folks, The forum rules we agreed to in order to register here include:

"You agree not to use this forum to accuse anyone, any company or any product of being "stupid" or a "fraud" or to use a term like "snake oil" to describe a particular product, as such terms may be viewed as defamatory and abusive."

I took your comment as a joke rather than defaming a product but I did want to remind all participants of the rules. I love this forum and don't want the people who provide it to have legal problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.