AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me what the industry standard is for shipping costs on Warranty repairs for CRT's?

I assumed it would either be a split OR the manufacture would pick it all up.

While I'm at it, any recommendations for a good/reasonably priced shipper for this type of BIG/Fragile equipment?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I've never done warranty shipping, but I have done repair shipping, and its all the customers nickel. If you pack it well, any shipper is adequate, but many here would warn you AWAY from UPS.

·
Registered
849 Posts
99% of the time returned items for warranty is the customers expense. Returning the unit to the customer after repairs is paid by the mfgr.

Read your warranty to be sure.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Most small electronics items have shipping covered my the mfg back to you. You're responsible for shipping to them though. No idea how it works on larger projectors.

Curt

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Slash,

On a projector that is DOB or dead out of box the mfg usually will pick up the freight and send another.

On a failure after that the warranty covers "Depot" repairs, this is where you have to take it to the nearest warranty repair center or pay for the travel time to come to you. The warranty repair in your house allows for the labor to correct.

This is where the problem develops, if its not corrected the first trip you will need to pay the trip charge again. The warranty will only cover the parts and labor allowed for that repair and not to re-enter signals and re-converge.

The warranty can and will be voided if the projector was set up out of spec that caused this failure. In some cases its best to take in.

This is based on NEC and it is flexible if you contact the service rep before hand or make prior arraignments with the selling dealer, the rep has the final say, he signs the warranty nardas to pay for the repair.

Last theres a gray line on if it was installed by you and if the set-up person was certified to do this. I have seen this go both ways and I have also seen why they wrote it this way.

This is just what I know about NECs procedure for warranty, read your warranty information and look for words like "depot" "in house" (whos house) and the exclusions on freight.

This only applies to CRT and not LCD, DLP under 30lbs. Rough figures for freight vary between $1-$2 a pound, insure it for replacement value, always. Doug

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Slash,

On a projector that is DOB or dead out of box the mfg usually will pick up the freight and send another.

On a failure after that the warranty covers "Depot" repairs, this is where you have to take it to the nearest warranty repair center or pay for the travel time to come to you. The warranty repair in your house allows for the labor to correct.

This is where the problem develops, if its not corrected the first trip you will need to pay the trip charge again. The warranty will only cover the parts and labor allowed for that repair and not to re-enter signals and re-converge.

The warranty can and will be voided if the projector was set up out of spec that caused this failure. In some cases its best to take in.

This is based on NEC and it is flexible if you contact the service rep before hand or make prior arraignments with the selling dealer, the rep has the final say, he signs the warranty nardas to pay for the repair.

Last theres a gray line on if it was installed by you and if the set-up person was certified to do this. I have seen this go both ways and I have also seen why they wrote it this way.

This is just what I know about NECs procedure for warranty, read your warranty information and look for words like "depot" "in house" (whos house) and the exclusions on freight.

This only applies to CRT and not LCD, DLP under 30lbs. Rough figures for freight vary between $1-$2 a pound, insure it for replacement value, always. Doug

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had to send my G-70 back to Sony one time for repair still under warr., I happen to have a Sony service center 10 minutes from where I live and took it there. I have used them before for other small items, but, nothing like this, they got on the phone with Teaneck NJ and got the ok for them to send it to them. So, it cost me nothing to send and nothing back, which was done through Fed Ex! Great service for me.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.