AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a question. I just hooked up my new Panasonic 50PZ80U and my new PS3. I put on both Night at the Museum and The Invincible BD movies and saw what looked like snow in both films. I looked closely at the TV and what I saw were small dots moving about that were green. Other than that it looked great. Anybody know anything about this? Is it a bad set? Or will it clear up after the break-in period or what?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1 /forum/post/14193223

Hey guys got a question. I just hooked up my new Panasonic 50PZ80U and my new PS3. I put on both Night at the Museum and The Invincable BD movies and saw what looked like snow in both films. I looked closely at the TV and what I saw were small dots moving about that were green. Other than that it looked great. Anybody know anything about this? Is it a bad set? Or will it clear up after the break-in period or what?

Exactly how close did you get to the screen before you saw the small dots?

Do you see them from a normal viewing distance?

Have you adjusted the TV properly or are you using the factory default settings?

Do you see them on other inputs or other sources?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yea, check the other inputs as well. Do you see them on XMB (PS3 home screen)?

It might just be noise from the source material.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Is this what is reffered as "dithering"?

Cos I see them all the time.

Sometimes this "snow" helps me when I calibrate the greyscale. A correct greyscale should produce a neutral grey "snow". That is of course if you have turned the colour back to zero.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys.

OK. I noticed the snow look from about 8 feet away. Upon closer inspection, probably 1 to 2 feet I begin to notice the moving green dots. These dots were harder to see depending on the back ground color, but still visible, or at least the effect they have on the picture is. I can see them in various screens of the PS3. I also see them when watching TV through my DirecTV HD box. I tried different HDMI ports and than switched to a component cable and experienced the same thing on DirecTV. I just hooked it up today so everything is default except for the picture setting which is set to "0" as suggested by Panasonic for the break-in period.

I called Panasonic and the tech support person told me that was not normal. He told me to try other inputs and sources, and as I posted no change.

I didn't see anything like this after returning to BB and examining their sets. I know there is a difference because of the way their system is set up but I saw nothing like it, except for one set which showed white dots that were much less intense in distribution than mine. That was also due to their feed being spread around I was told. Other than that they looked fine. I'm about to go examine my friends plasma and see if I see anything similar. But I think this sets getting exchanged this week.

·
Registered
485 Posts
moving green dots 1 to 2 feet away are very normal. snow about 8 ft away not so much but that depends on source.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know about the moving green dots being normal. Is that normal for Panasonic? I was told by their tech support it wasn't. I just checked out my friends 50 inch LG plasma and didn't see anything close to what my set is doing. That's looking form close up as well as from further away. They sit closer than eight feet to their plasma and it looks much better than mine in regards to the dots/grainy look.

If that's how plasma are suppose to be, with green dots, why would anyone want one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried to take some pics but couldn't get anything to turn out well enough to post, but I'll keep trying. While doing so I now notice occasionally some red and blue dots as well. The green are still the most noticeable with the reds next than blues. I do notice the greens getting better (faded) when I switch from standard to cinema mode. They get worse when I switch to custom.

Zarich, could you please explain to me why the green dots are suppose to be normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It depends on the green dots. if you are talking about the dots that are only 1 to 2' away visible and after that invisible, those are usually a part of the dithering pattern. These tvs do not look good 1 to 2 ft away. If you are seeing them at 8' then something is wrong.

At 1 to 2 feet they should be worse on darker looking background material.. say a grey coat or something. But only at 1 to 2 feet. Maybe 3 or 4 if this was a samsung. But after that invisible.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
^^^ Huh?

If I'm seeing green dots 1 to 4 feet away on my Sammy, something is wrong and it needs repair. In fact, some Sammies had issues with "blue snow". Samsung called it error diffusion and that is not normal because they will fix that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich /forum/post/14195816

It depends on the green dots. if you are talking about the dots that are only 1 to 2' away visible and after that invisible, those are usually a part of the dithering pattern. These tvs do not look good 1 to 2 ft away. If you are seeing them at 8' then something is wrong.

At 1 to 2 feet they should be worse on darker looking background material.. say a grey coat or something. But only at 1 to 2 feet. Maybe 3 or 4 if this was a samsung. But after that invisible.

Well I don't see them from far away only close up. What I do see from about 8' or so is the their movement depending on the image or color on the screen. Now if you look at a DLP during a light colored image on the screen such as a sky either cloudy or sunny you can see the texture of the screen (or at least I can). It appears similar to that on certain scenes or background images.

If this is a dithering pattern and is normal why did I not see it at BB last night when I checked their Panasonic TV's (some of which were on BD)?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap /forum/post/14194172

Is this what is reffered as "dithering"?

Cos I see them all the time.

Sometimes this "snow" helps me when I calibrate the greyscale. A correct greyscale should produce a neutral grey "snow". That is of course if you have turned the colour back to zero.

Whoa! This could be a very faulty assumption. Many times, when a panel or board has a defect or when the panel voltages are not set properly, you may see what looks like "snow" but is biased toward a particular color. Using this to set gray scale could leave you with offset that is incorrect.

What is being described is likely activation level error and not random noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info lcaillo. So I'm right to think something is wrong and it should be exchanged for a new set.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you don't mind going through the process just exchange for a new one and see if it exhibits similar behaviour. If not then you have you answer. I am also not sure we are talking about the same thing. You should not see any pixel movement at 8' unless you are watching ant races.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I am going to exchange it tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

I made another trip to BB and CC today and saw the same thing but far less noticeable than my TV. I took a BD movie with me and noticed the green dots up close, but not in all the black areas as mine does. So I think mines a little worse off. Rented another BD movie today and there were some scenes with light backgrounds and I could see serious movement in those areas of the picture. Could not tell they were green dots, but could see the movement and it looked bad to me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts