1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
We all started somewhere.... my first go was a rat shack 8" SVC "sub" in a particleboard ( well I had it, and it was free.... ) box with a clear 5/8" thick acrylite motorboard.

Mother that acrylite was a SOB to cut... ended up drilling lots o' holes with a 1/8" drill bit around the cut out line... and using a jigsaw. Even then it kinda melted back together a bit.

I finished it in rockgard and some metallic black spraybomb... actually looked nice. I think my brother gave me a 7.5 mh iron core inductor for using inside of the box.

I didn't mention I was in high school, gr 10 at the time LOL...

·
Registered
214 Posts
How well would that acrylite work for a sub? Is it expensive? It would be cool to make a whole box out of it. I could cut it at work and use coolant so it wouldn't melt....

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd /forum/post/14248757

Aww. At leas the guy is giving DIY a go. Can't fault him for that.

Hey I am at least giving FREE coverage to less viewed DIY works of art.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Cutting the driver hole was the pain in using Acrylite sheet.... the other cuts were not bad with a good saw blade and using a jointer/planer to clean up the edge.

A bit of sanding with progressively finer grits and then a final wet-sand and polish ( or flame polish after p1000 grit ) voila~!

Seems that to drill it sucessfully ( I had lots of experience with that... ) you had to turn the bit really high RPM in order for it to "melt" smoothly through the sheet without chipping when it comes through on the bottom and making it look like crap.

There are companies that specialize in this kind of work.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drilling in brittle plastics is easy. You need a very sharp bit rotating at a high speed(1200-2000RPM) and go very slowly.

Not to melt...no. To SHAVE the meterial.

I can drill perfect holes in these materials ,forcing will result in breaks and cracks.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
now now Arthur....you are being plain mean now!

everyone starts somewhere. Remember, not long ago you weren't even in the DIY radar, so give the guy a break

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Aside from the holes, his box seems to be coming together pretty well. The port holes aren't an issue, the flares will cover them, the only real issue is the outer driver hole. I have tried cutting holes with a jigsaw, despite having it marked out, its pretty hard to get perfect, bigger holes are easier though, I was trying a tweeter.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
. I have tried cutting holes with a jigsaw, despite having it marked out, its pretty hard to get perfect, bigger holes are easier though, I was trying a tweeter.

I've tried too, and the only problem I have is the blade bending. What is a good blade that doesn't bend when cutting 3/4" MDF?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I think they have to bend in order to work, the only thing to help is just going slow, but with tight radius's (tweeters) stuff gets out of whack real fast. Think about if the didn't bend, they'd be forced to snap, OUCH!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For very small holes,a hole saw is the way. As blades can snap,or you have to cut very slowly,back up and reshave some material.

And first of all a qualitry jigsaw is needed, Bosch makes the finest units period. Any single speed B&D or another POS is ill advised.More of a slum renovation device.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At first glance I was thinking "his cuts dont look that bad at all.."

Then I scrolled down. eeek.

I have a nice bosch jigsaw, And I have tried cutting things precisely. Its not very easy. A jigsaw definetly isint really a precision tool.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14252102

I think they have to bend in order to work, the only thing to help is just going slow, but with tight radius's (tweeters) stuff gets out of whack real fast. Think about if the didn't bend, they'd be forced to snap, OUCH!

True.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/14251198

now now Arthur....you are being plain mean now!

everyone starts somewhere. Remember, not long ago you weren't even in the DIY radar, so give the guy a break

Now now Sherv,

Remember my "first" sealed cabinet...remember. Want a link? Compares to the best cabinets made. Less the finish,as it is painted plain black,no fancy finish.

Building a cabinet takes care and a little desire. I am no pro cabinet maker,but when I see holes cut in a way that makes you wonder how many bottles of Vodka the builder saw empty..there is reason to have a bit of fun. And I am surprised the builder has all his fingers.

I am not talking Shinobiwan level of detail and FINISH,he stands alone. I am talking good basic work so many on this and other forums have done with basic tools.

Some people may look at this and say LOOK THIS IS DIY! No no DIY done well can equal the finish and cabinets can be more inert compared to comercial jobs(always optimised to spend as little material as possible,material cost will impact the bottom line...profit).

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
lmao, My routed circles are a little better but my cuts and edges are probably not even as good as this build you guys are ripping on.

Does it matter if its hidden??

My builds suck but I can do them in 4 hours now
and its easy to hide any flaws

Of course this threads highlights honestly the skill level of most people. More people would build a sub like that then what you guys post here all the time. Its too easy to assume woodworking is easy when you already do it well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts