AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a pioneer 5020 after going through every LCD imaginable (XBR6, Samsung 750 and 950, Sharp SE94) and it arrived last night
! I was pretty excited to hook it all up and start tinkering but since it was pretty cold from the truck I let it warm up for a few hours first. Anyways I finally set it up on its mount, plugged all my stuff in and went to turn it on.... nothing. Weird, so I try a different power outlet... nothing.

Needless to say I was very disappointed... called the company and they're gonna do a swap but it might take a while since they're out of stock
. It did make me happy that I didn't buy this on Ebay or something because the hassle of sending it back would have entirely offset any dollars saved.

Kind of funny seeing that I've had flawless luck until now with electronics.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Yes and sorry to hear about this...The odds are in everyone's favor when it comes to malfunctioning displays. Its almost like 1 and every 100. Who knows. A wire on the mainboard could have came loose during transport or a power supply issue. It could have been a number of things. But I am glad that it is getting taken care of.

Chris

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Did you make sure you pressed the main power switch before pressing power on the remote?? Just checking, alot of people thought they had a dead kuro, but found this to be the issue (including myself on my first 6010 lol).

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
LOL. I called Roman yesterday and told him that my 151 was dead. He said " is the main power switch on?" I said what power switch??

That was it. I thought I read up on this tv pretty good. lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also guilty of this mistake, thought my 151PRO was DOA.

I have had 3 Pioneers prior to the 151 and this is the first time I have seen this master power switch. Simple oversight

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol... I wish that were it! I've had a few pioneers up until now and my parents had a 151 installed in their bedroom a while back so I'm familiar even with the new Kuros. I'm not all that disappointed and was pleased with the service (they're gonna swap it within the week
).

I do wonder though how many "dead" kuros have been returned due to the power switch. I made the same mistake when my parents had their TV delivered but figured it out after some searching.

Best story was when I worked at best buy (hiss boo) while I was away at university and I sold some guy a Sony XBR2 when they were god awful expensive and he bought the 800 dollar service plan and all the monster cables and home install... (my god I'm going to hell for all that! Should have thrown in the lube for free!) Anyways, he gets it hooked up by our terrible geek squad and I get a call from him yelling that his TV is buzzing. After a few TV swaps and some serious cursing with threats I go to his house myself and find he had his tv on a dimmer switch... rofl. He felt pretty stupid and I made sure to let the Geek squad know they were morons!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I made the same mistake when I recently moved. I turned it on and nothing. I was in full panic mode for an hour before one of my friends said what this button do? I felt like a idiot!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any idea of the purpose behind the switch and it's location? Is it to make sure you read the manual before you play with your new toy? Must cause a lot of service calls. It doesn't appear to be marked real well looking at the pictures.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're swapping my TV out tomorrow!!! HAPPY DAY!

I'll be in class all day
but luckily my brother is gonna hang out at my place. I know it's kinda stupid, but I can't wait to move into my new condo so I can FINALLY get a 60 inch pio... 50 seems so small

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Are the power switches off, by default, when shipped or is it just random? I ask because when I got my 151, I didn't have to touch the power switch to get the TV to turn on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my TV set up and started running the break in... lets just say that I'm happy I didn't stick with the LCD's... not one of them can come close to the accuracy of the Pio plasmas!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokenbeer /forum/post/15483771

So I ordered a pioneer 5020 after going through every LCD imaginable (XBR6, Samsung 750 and 950, Sharp SE94) and it arrived last night
! I was pretty excited to hook it all up and start tinkering but since it was pretty cold from the truck I let it warm up for a few hours first. Anyways I finally set it up on its mount, plugged all my stuff in and went to turn it on.... nothing. Weird, so I try a different power outlet... nothing.

Needless to say I was very disappointed... called the company and they're gonna do a swap but it might take a while since they're out of stock
. It did make me happy that I didn't buy this on Ebay or something because the hassle of sending it back would have entirely offset any dollars saved.

Kind of funny seeing that I've had flawless luck until now with electronics.

Congrats on your new display. The only downside to owning one of these is that now you will be labeled as completely bias, and a "Kuro Fanboy".

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/15514997

Congrats on your new display. The only downside to owning one of these is that now you will be labeled as completely bias, and a "Kuro Fanboy".

Aint that the truth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 101 was DOA. When I called my salesman he made sure I had the power button on - I guess he's seen this many times before.

I suppose it wasn't really 'dead'. When I turned it on with the remote, it buzzed very loudly (you could hear it easily in the next room) but there was no picture at all. The buzzing got a bit quieter after a minute or so but was still very noticable.

My replacement is coming this morning. I will test it before mounting it up on my wall.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan K /forum/post/15518562

My 101 was DOA. When I called my salesman he made sure I had the power button on - I guess he's seen this many times before.

I suppose it wasn't really 'dead'. When I turned it on with the remote, it buzzed very loudly (you could hear it easily in the next room) but there was no picture at all. The buzzing got a bit quieter after a minute or so but was still very noticable.

My replacement is coming this morning. I will test it before mounting it up on my wall.

Mine was similar... not a loud buzz but everything was on... just no picture. Very happy to have it all set up now though. I had my parents 151 ISF calibrated and it looks phenomenal. Hopefully they can work similar magic with my set.

·
Registered
55 Posts
LOL, both my friends went through this when their TV's arrived. I stood in one's living room with a smile on my face as he cussed me out for pushing him so hard to get this particular model. After his five minute verbal rant, denigrating both my decision making skills and the "POS Pioneer garbage display" he just purchased, I shuffled behind the TV to "its broken man, don't bother..." and depress the master power supply switch - "Click" red light illuminated - "remote click" blue light illuminated - "Please wait while TV powers on" BOOM HD glory.

Friends expression "...oh"

I love people that get something so far into their heads they become too fettered by it to open up a manual and logically reason what the problem could actually be.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan K /forum/post/15518562

That's what happened to chadmak09's 6010s a while back (from amazon).

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 /forum/post/15519736

That's what happened to chadmak09's 6010s a while back (from amazon).

Yep.

Busted internal glass.

Thats what that is.

Nolan, when you attached the stand how did you do it??

Did you lay the panel face down on a bed or table?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts