AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to take an opinion poll of sorts from those that have purchased RPTV's and what their experience was. I've read a few horror stories of individuals who had one shipped to their residence, the thing died or had problems 2 months later only to find it impossible to have them serviced since nobody around is qualified. Shipping htem is obviously very expensive since they weigh a ton and the prospect of damage seems high. There seems to be reason to pay more and buy from a sears.com or the like just for the piece of mind that no matter where you live, a local sears will come swap your unit for you should you have a problem.

On the other hand you tend to hear about problems when people have them, but seldom success stories when people order stuff and have it shipped and have no problems. So the impression i get that ordering an RPTV and having it shipped is a bad idea might not be entirely fair.

so lets take a poll. Have you bought an RPTV? What was your experience in buying it? Did you buy from a chain or have it shipped? Any problems/warnings or did things go smoothly? How big an RPTV was it?

Thanks.. i'm sure this will help a lot of us interested in buying a unit.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Got my Sharp 55" from Best Buy, home delivery went fine except it almost wasn't able to fit up my front stairs and through my front door! If I had gotten a larger TV I probably would have been screwed. It's going to be fun whenever we move! Can anyone say.. professional movers http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I had my 65H80 shipped from NJ to CA and the TV arrived with no problems.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my 65H80 shipped from Houston to Austin through an internet site call SatOne.com (I think that was the name). I was very concerned but everything worked out fine. If the price hadn't been so low I would never have done it. But for $2000 cheaper than I could buy it locally I had to take the chance and I put it on CC so I could challenge the charge if it was defective.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You raise two good points abaout service and shipping damage.

I never buy an item of any kind until I determine who the local service provider is. You can call any of the manufacturers like Toshiba, Pioneer at al and they will run through all of their authorized service centers in your area (or state.) If you have a good serrvice center in your area that is not authorized for a particular manufacturer, they will probably give authorizatiuon to that service dealer. I have discussed this with Toshiba, Pioneer and Hitachi. They actually want you to purchase theie product and will cooperate with you.

In terms of shipping damage, I had a 36" Toshiba arrive with a broken shadow mask, which created three green blobs of color at the bottom of the screen, especially seen when watching a basketball game. So any large expensive electronic item can easily be damaged. Toshiba, by the way, replaced the picture tube but I was without the set for several weeks.

I descided to buy my new rptv locally from a small mom and pop shop that was just $85 more expensive than One Call's price with shipping. And I have continuous service from the same person for 5 years. Sears, Circuit city et al have never been willing to reveal the specific service preson or shop that they would send out, only that they are factory trained (yeah, like their sales people!).

Why not try to find a small independent shop in your area who may come within $100 of your best price. It's worth the piece of mind you will get.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have had 2 large screen RPTVs shipped to my home without incident. They were in the same shipping container that got them to the distributor.

Let's say that your local Mom&Pop dealer buys from a distributor in Minnesota. Chances are the unit is shipped from the manufacturer to Minnesota and then shipped from Minnesota to Mom&Pop and then trucked to your house by some local lug. Shipping from Minnesota directly to your house doesn't sound so bad does it????

Dealing with the shipper rather than Mom&Pop if there is a problem is certainly a risk you take. For some, the savings makes it all worthwhile. YMMV. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi gwichman,

I'm in Northern VA. Bought my TW65x81 from suttertel.com in Washington state. TV was delivered to the curb but I managed to get the driver to help me wheel it to my garage until I could gather up enough neighbors to move it to my home theater.

Minor damage to the box but no damage to the TV.

Local or not, I wanted to get the TV from someone who had the set. At the time, this was the most popular HD RPTV. Most online dealers were backordered, let alone the local brick and mortar stores. At that time also, retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, or Sears were still in the 4:3 standard TV mode. Another reason is cost. Saved a bundle (about $1500) going online vs local.

But ultimately, the decision to go online or local is a personal one. Go with whatever you feel is best for you.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

[This message has been edited by kealii (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
731 Posts
I bought my TW65H80 in 1999 from buy.com on the internet. They sold it to me for almost exactly $1000.00 less than any local store would (West Palm Beach, FL area, Brandsmart, Sound Advice, Best Buy, etc.). The unit was drop shipped from the Toshiba factory in Tennessee, the movers placed it in my living room. A call to Toshiba before hand convinced me that warranty and service would not be a problem. I would do it again in a second (given a $1000.00 difference).

Roger

------------------

System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS

Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable

Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk F/X 500i Surrounds

Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote
My HT Pics

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my 57" Toshiba from a local authorized retailer. The first unit died after a week. No problem, they sent out a second unit. When the delivery crew opened the box, there was obvious shipping damage (even though the box looked fine), so it went back. They unpacked the third set in their warehouse, tested it before delivery, and it's been great. Sure, I paid more than mail order, but dealing with a remote vendor under these circumstances may have been very ugly.

Buying from unauthorized dealers has been already discussed at great length; the only comment I would add is to beware of changes in policy. At present, Toshiba honors its warranty regardless of where you buy their set, but there's no guarantee that won't change in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.