Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All.

I am entertaining the notion of buying my first CRT. Unfortunately the pickings are slim in my part of the world and so it looks like I might have to import, from another state or possibly further afield.

Along with the risk of buying a piece of junk, is the risk of it turning to junk in transit. So I'm seeking your advice.

Now there is always the chance that I'll be able to buy something from someone who knows what they're doing, and who cares enough about these puppies to ensure I don't wind up with a box of Lego, but knowing my luck... :confused:

So what should I ask the vendor/shipping company to do ? Bear in mind this may have to come from another country and be handled by several people and slide around in the belly of a 747. Should lenses be removed ? Should it be strapped to a pallet ? Crate built around it ? Cardboard ? Styrofoam ? Foam rubber ? Blankets ? 200 pillows ?! :p

I may have to give up sex for the rest of my life in order to talk my wife into this, so I want to make sure that my projector is able to satisfy me - partially at least.....

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
PM Me, i have some low hour Projectors here in Melbourne that may satisfy you

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raster
Dang it Graham, you should of Pm'd him and not posted your marketing reply
And he should use S-video instead of RGB, right rasta baby?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have been there as well. (the no sex payoff) LOL

Basically I have been selling these projectors for about 5 years. Many are imported for resale. I also buy here as well.

The market for these projectors is shrinking here in Australia despite the fact they really are the best bang for the buck you can get ATM.

I am running out all my the last of my stock holding. I have a few left to sell.

As far as importing, There are limited possibilities as the freight is a really huge part of the equation.

Basically if you are buying from the States you are wasting your time unless the projector is a at least a 9 inch machine (G90, VPH1292) as they are still worth a bit of money. You also have to buy it CHEAP. Or its not worth it.

Any projector you import will cost you approx $1000 to import. Remember there is not only freight there is duty, GST, Clearance charges, etc. On average the last few I have imported whether consolidated together or separate cost at least $1000 ea.

There are lots of good smaller projectors here that you dont have to bother with all this.

How much did you want to spend?

I have two machines here ready to go. And I give three month warrantee.

I have a Sony 1251 with a new green and a new blue tube for $1950 plus freight.

And a Sony 1272 with very slight blue wear for $1950 plus freight.

I would suggest that you give NEC's a miss. Not cause they are not good but because they are bastards to repair and cause you are in Perth there are probably not many people who can work on them if any.

There are a few 8 inch Sony's around like the G70 but generally they are big money circa $5000. I have a 1292 here (9 inch machine) with a genuine 300 hours on it. My personal machine. For $ 7900 plus freight.

The picture is magnificent. Also some others that I am working on.

A Seleco SVP400HT with Built in line doubler, good tubes. $2750 plus freight.

Also an NEC 9PG with a new blue tube for $2650 plus freight.

These last two are being working on as we speak, So a few weeks till I am happy with them.

If you need more info feel free to call me

0402 657 236

Graham Johnson

[email protected]

·
Registered
613 Posts
Paul,

I've got a G70 down here in Bunbury, and Azzad has come down this way to look at a couple of 12xx series....and I'm sure there are a few lurkers down this way, that would be able to help you with set-up advice, and form a support group for disgruntled CRT wives.....

Out of interest have you personally, seen a well setup CRT in action? Or like me and bought the G70 on the glowing reputation they have, without ever having seen one running...as you say, picking are a bit slim....but there are 'people who've picked' who (well speaking for myself) would be happy to help you out.

If your considering a 1292, be prepared for your wife's eyes to roll right into the back of her head when she sees the shear size of the '92 lol.....Graham is 'da man' when it comes to these units, so I recon your in safe hands.

Anyway, your in the right place...

Have fun.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm not sure of his setup, so it's hard to answer that. I don't know his limitations presently etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Roth
And he should use S-video instead of RGB, right rasta baby?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Gentlemen. I have had some great advice PM'd to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.