AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speakers just arrived, double boxed, box looked like a typical UPS package, no obvious damage. Opened it up to find the terminals had weight on them and it cracked the finish and possibly the mdf. It doesn’t really flex when I push on it, I’m wondering if the sealed enclosure is now compromised. I know I can exchange it, but if they offered to just refund my money I’m trying decide if I would take that.
Footwear Toy Audio equipment Font Sandal

·
Registered
822 Posts
Cosmetic speaker, especially on the back or bottom of a speaker is rarely going to be seen, so normally I would certainly consider keeping if they offered me enough of a partial refund, but I do agree that where this damage is would be a bit concerning as to possibly be more than just cosmetic. If it were me I would just exchange it and call it good.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Nope, send it back.

Reactions: psyduck103

·
Premium Member
20x22 dedicated space, BenQ HT3550, 150" 16x9 screen, Yamaha RX-A3070 5.2.4
140 Posts
30% refund and out of sight out of mind.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I usually end up reselling my stuff and that would make it difficult so I wouldn't keep them.
I was gonna say pour glue on it, it will seal fine, but this is a very good point. So for a little discount, nah. For a big discount, eh, keep.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
They are brand new speakers. Exchange them.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
They are back in UPS’s hands now 😬😬
The grill was also damaged which I hadn’t noticed originally.
Here's hoping the next one(s) you get are damage-free!

·
Registered
177 Posts
that sucks but it probably won't affect the listening experience (just test them to be sure they are fine)

whether to keep them for a refund or not it depends on many factors:

1) are you one of those guys buying and reselling your gear every other month? if that is the case they will not hold a good reselling price due to the damage (not that they keep it anyway, no offense) but if you made the purchase of your life then get the discount!

2) did you pay full price? if you did, that suck...if you didn't then it might be time for an extra discount...

3) did you finally test the speakers with the rest of your components in your dedicated room? did you really like how they sound? it might be your chance to get out scott free!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's hoping the next one(s) you get are damage-free!
Thanks! I kinda fault Martin Logan’s packaging. Foam on both ends of the speaker suspended it within the box. There was a middle piece of foam that fit around the speaker that had it been positioned closer to terminals it would have been fine. I’m curious how they ship the Motion i’s. When I called to exchange the guy said he’s seen that happen a few times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts