AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you buy a surplus pj from some ebay seller with less than half a clue. He ships it to the hub near you all the way in oregon for pick up. You go to pick it up and as the forklift comes around the corner with your new toy you immediately notice somthing is missing...

A BOX!

You see an 8" pj on a pallet... NO BOX!!!

I could hardly believe my eyes. For protection, he half assed wraped the thing with one layer of shrink wrap or whatever that saran wrap stuff is, and stuck a chunk of foam over just the lenses, and strapped one band to hold the pj to the pallet.

my jaw hit the floor. The shipping guys didn't find it funny either.

Has this EVER happened to anyone else? Could you EVER imagine this to be sufficient packing?

oh my

I am not yet going to disclose the seller until I ask him what is going on and see if he maybe didn't do it himself or has some excuse.

Troy

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Sadly, a correct original crate does not always suffice; we shipped out a repaired M9000 last month and the crate has forklift stab wounds and the pj has two smashed lenses; Oh, the Horror!!!!!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
This may become more of a problem as CRT projector and part stock dwindles...

Too bad the shippers (generally) don't give a damn.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My marquee 9000 came in via Fedex on a pallate with what looked like 10,000 layers of plastic wrap on in. Although the plastic and metal case was scratched, broken, and bent, the projector had no hardware damage. Needless to say, I felt very lucky.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Well, get this.

I had two G 70's shipped to me on pallets, no strapping, no packing, nothing. They arrived intact!

Sold one G 70 to Texas in a crate with padding.

Arrived with a smashed green tube, two lens mounts cracked (beyond repair). I'm prepping the second G 70 to replace it..:(

Then there was the issue last month of UPS smashing a retubed VDC 9500LC green. You know how well VDC packs tubes..:)

The list goes on...

Curt

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Only if your goal was to have tiny bits of stuff at the other end.

Hmm, might be a good way to grind up coffee beans. Ship them in a box marked 'fine antique glasswork art - fragile - hand with care - this side up'.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What if you labeled it "Bricks- Have Fun!"?

- David

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'd arrive intact. With a note saying "Next time you want to ship bricks a**h*le please seperate them into individual packages, because this f**ker was heavy!". :D

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally wrestled it into the house to check it out... Amazingly it survived, except for the scuffs and stuff on the case so I consider myself extremely lucky.

It still ticks me off though. Sure you can ship a filing cabinet that way but not a fine piece of sensitive electronic gear.

Speaking of tube shipping... I just boxed a set of pg tubes to send to a forum member. I got so carried away with double boxing, boxing each tube seperate and then together in a large box with packing in both layers that the whole thing ended up as big as a box to ship the whole pj in.

I think he may laugh at the extreme overkill.

Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 1031Q arrived in a thin-walled cardboard box that was filled with foam chips!!

Of course the pj had "settled" to the bottom and one corner of the box had been crushed inward.

The case did get a crack, but amazingly the pj survived!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
The problem is with a common carrier, the freight is loaded, off loaded several times during it's journey. Forklifts move the freight. The trailers are not meant to carry delicate instruments unless they are packaged superbly for shock, vibration etc.

Ship via a air ride carrier like United Vanlines etc and you'll never have one problem with shock, vibration etc. The equipment is handled on a totally different level.. It is usally transfered only one time. You could ship it without a pallet even, and it will arrive perfect 99% of the time. I shipped sensitive electronics for years and years. Stay away from forklift carriers.

You can also insure your projector. And with no payment hassel if a claim is filed

·
Registered
299 Posts
Troy, that wasn't my package was it??? I was hoping for something that was going to fit under the door mat.:D

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:)

Yep it's your tubes. It iwill barely fit through the door. It really is kind of comical I just got carried away.

Troy

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
Lets say you buy a surplus pj from some ebay seller with less than half a clue......

Troy
The Seller, Troy, or yourself?????? Sorry....... :)

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ouch

I'd like to think I have just over half a clue.

:)

Troy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Had a similar experience with a govenment surplus ECP via UPS. The PJ came in a single walled cardboard box that had been cobbled together from 3-4 smaller boxes and then filled wth shredded paper. Fortunately the also used some of that plastic pallet strapping because by the time it got to me it looked like a cross between the Strawman and a cubist pinata. From the way the corners were rounded over, I swear they rolled it down a few loading ramps. Fortunately the only damage was to the lenses and Acon unit. Found upgrade lenses on fleabay and repaired the Acon. The real PITA was getting the shreds of paper out of every corner of the chassis.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
My NEC showed up on a pallet with a couple of layers of scrap cardboard thrown on top and the whole mess shrinkwrapped. When I got to Forward Air to pick it up I was looking for a crate (which I paid for) and was unable to find it. The only piece on the dock that we had not checked was the poorly prepaired shipment that the dock worker was standing on while trying to spot my crate. YOU GUESSED IT...

Chip S.

PS It survived

·
Registered
401 Posts
The last Barco800 I received came strapped to a pallet with a cardboard "cover" over the entire unit which was then wrapped with standard black shrinkwrap.

Not a mark on it.

Probably the same eBay surplus guy. It it come from the east coast and did you deal with a Russian guy?

;)

- Jerry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.