AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have had sturdy luggage not make it through. It probably depends on how the baggage handlers are feeling that day. I am not sure I would risk it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Are you sure your tv will work wherever you are going? I'd check that first and I also tend to agree with Tahoe, thru plane changes, possible xray exams of it, etc., you might be better off selling it here and buying a new one in your new location.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Yes the country i am going to uses NTSC, however they use a 240v 50hz system but that can easily be fixed with a power converter.

I would buy one there, but anything imported such as electronics and vehicles is typically quite a bit more than in the US and the technology is maybe 5 years behind.

One of my friends did it, ship via airlines baggage. I guess i'll be playing russian roulette.

I know it seems kinda ridiculous using the airlines baggage instead of a shipping service, but a lot of people actually do this here. This is due to the expensive importation taxes and the possibility of losing your package to the corrupt customs agents. Electronics and vehicles get "seized" often.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Have you ever seen how checked baggage gets tossed, tumbled, and rolled around at every point?

Seems rather foolish way to transport as they certainly aren't going to cover any potential loss if it gets damaged. Penny wise and POUND foolish comes to mind.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumnewbie /forum/post/19522155

I'll be moving overseas soon and I prefer to bring my LG 32LE5400 with me via check-in baggage. It will be packaged in the original box and styrofoam packaging. Will the LCD be safe during shipment?

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
They make hard cases specifically for flat panel transporting, they look similar to concert equipment cases but I'm not sure even those would allow your panel to survive baggage handling.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
It will be a gamble. Next time you are at the airport, just look out and u will see how the baggage handlers do it. They toss things, they don't have time to white-glove ur stuff.

Then go into the airline's website, they have sizing/weight limitation. If they gonna charge u usd$200 for oversize, may as well find out in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb
It will be a gamble. Next time you are at the airport, just look out and u will see how the baggage handlers do it. They toss things, they don't have time to white-glove ur stuff.

Then go into the airline's website, they have sizing/weight limitation. If they gonna charge u usd$200 for oversize, may as well find out in advance.
The TV is an LED type so the box is relatively small and light considering its screen size. It passes the size and weight requirements easily with lots of room to spare. Hawaiian Airline allows baggage as heavy as 70lbs and over sized up to 80lbs, they rule! I might pack it in the original box, then wrap in some sort of foam for better shock resistance, and tape some card board around everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts