AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey. im sure this is the wrong spot for this but i wasnt too sure where to ask. im looking to get the pn50b650. im in canada and only future shop has that tv and they want a fortune for it. i can get it a lot cheaper from the states but when i spoke to Cleveland plasma he said something about me having to go to my closest major airport and paying tax on it before i received it.

has anyone had to do this ordering a tv from the states because i cant drive to the airport its rather far.

anyones experience on ordering a tv from the states to canada would be greatly appreciated. i just need to know what to expect that i may not know.

tomorrow im gonna try and call the government and see what they have to say.

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
One thing you should make sure is whether or not the warranty is valid in Canada. I know there is some discussion on a certain Canadian message board I visit and many are saying that if you purchase a Panasonic Plasma from the US, the warranty is not valid in Canada and you have to purchase a third-party warranty -- not sure if this applies to Samsung as well. Although pricing on Plasmas is quite a bit more, I'd rather deal with local warranty through a local B&M store.

FYI, FS is the only store that carries it, but supposedly they're having a VIP sale on Aug. 24th (in store only) -- just go there and speak to a salesman about it and you can probably work out a deal. Probably still considerably more than the US, but just thought I'd let you know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Warranty does not carry over. Third party warranties usually want your original warranty to be valid, so that maybe an issue. That said, I did the same with the B650, but I already import a lot of products from the US, so it was relatively easy. Just have it shipped and USPS will charge you for brokerage and all taxes/duties.

Or go pick it up if you're close to the border. Take care of brokerage yourself (very easy.. customs agents will tell you what to do).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had already asked about the warranty and apparently it is good in canada.

been calling all over the place today trying to figure out whats what.

between the exchange rate, brokerage fees, 13% canadian tax it isint becoming so cheap anymore.

i appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
188 Posts
You probably have duty to pay as well as it is not American made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts