AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shiva-x 12" driver and a 500w bash parts express plate amp. I am wanting to build a sealed enclosure for both but am not sure on sizes or designs.. i mostly listen to music and play video games and don't need super deep bass. Just the loudest and cleanest i can get it. Any help? Thanks!!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeatsmelody /forum/post/16937756

I have a shiva-x 12" driver and a 500w bash parts express plate amp. I am wanting to build a sealed enclosure for both but am not sure on sizes or designs.. i mostly listen to music and play video games and don't need super deep bass. Just the loudest and cleanest i can get it. Any help? Thanks!!

a 3 cubic footer, filled with fiberglass should do you great.

that will result in a roughly 3.5-3.6 cubic footer effective.

with your amp, you should be able to get up to around 112db +/-.

at that size, you shouldn't have to worry about blowing out your driver. so build it and let 'er rip.

move it around the room until the frequency response sounds the best to you. placement makes a big difference in sound.

good luck!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
anywhere from 3-3.5 cubic feet isn't going to have a massive impact on the sound of that driver. there is actually a pretty big range across which things will sound the same, more or less.

by fiberglass, i mean the pink stuff used for insulation at home dep0t type stores. fill the box loosely; don't pack it in super tight. it helps to dampen out resonances.

make the enclosure as solid as possible for best effect. 3/4" plywood with a double thick baffle and glue some scraps on the center of the sides/top/back is a cheap, effective solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i allready have the parts express amp danielson.. but yeah that might have been better for a sealed box. and ltd, what do you mean glue some pieces to the sides and stuff? Should i just double brace it? and will this this provide some nice bass?

Thanks again!! No more questions after this. Ha

·
Registered
301 Posts
bracing is important to keep down the resonances. So you would want at least one brace midway in the box to make it more solid. The double baffle alone does not do anything for the sidewalls. Here is my Shiva-x Build I turned into an end table. See the brace in the middle. Add one of those. I added an additional brace on the back as well.

http://pics.allthatremains.org/main....del+3.jpg.html

Go ahead and keep asking questions, better to learn from our mistakes instead of your own.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeatsmelody /forum/post/16939162

ltd, what do you mean glue some pieces to the sides and stuff? Should i just double brace it? and will this this provide some nice bass?

Thanks again!! No more questions after this. Ha

never say that man. questions are always welcome. if i get tired of answering your questions, i can quit and someone else can step in.

since the weakest and therefore the most resonanant area of the enclosure in in the middle of each wall, you can glue some of the scrap material, such as the baffle cutouts (circles) to the sides of the wall inside the enclosure in order to shore them up without building the whole subwoofer double thick. use some other scraps to glue to the inside of the top and bottom walls. the corners are naturally very strong as it is. it's just another, though less sophisticated, option for bracing the enclosure.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeatsmelody /forum/post/16939362

Sounds good man, so two braces and a double think front baffle. should i do plywood for sure, not mdf on this one?

mdf is easier to work with.

3/4" plywood is much stronger.

if you plan on two braces and a double thick baffle, either should be ok.

if you want to go high-end, look into "baltic birch" plywood. much more expensive, but it has many more layers and virtually no voids.

i'd just get a 3/4" ply with one side that is high quality. if you have some voids, just fill with a little bondo. cover the beast with black truck bed liner as that will hide many little mistakes here and there.

if you are shooting for furniture grade, either go with the baltic birch or veneer.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeatsmelody /forum/post/16944188

Ohh god, i think there might be something wrong with the shiva, when i tested it in free air it makes some funky noices when the excursion gets like.. 3/8 of an inch out.. :/

sorry to hear that. mr. haskins will take care of you. from time to time any product can have a random problem. it's a little bit of a bummer, but you'll be up and running strong soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah man i called today and he requested a video clip so i took one and emailed it to him. Hope it gets worked out soon.
And i think i'm going to order another one because he just dropped the price temporarily
!

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeatsmelody /forum/post/16950938

Yeah man i called today and he requested a video clip so i took one and emailed it to him. Hope it gets worked out soon.
And i think i'm going to order another one because he just dropped the price temporarily
!

damn it, i want a second one to. To bad I am unemployed right now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah i think i am going to order another one.. i emailed kevin about the problem yesterday so i'm hoping we will get back to me soon. And i know that once they are both working i should be truly happy. Just a matter of getting a replacement for my first, and getting the 2nd one. and getting it all done.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeatsmelody /forum/post/16956917

HEHEHEHEHE. Kevin is the man. I bought the second one and he shipped that and my replacement today! Can't wait. I will let everyone know when they get here.

kevin is a good guy
with a good product. Damn I wish I had two.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts