AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally installed the sat-c kit and I'm now getting sho-hd. But the image is not filling the entire screen. There's about 1/4" (or more) of black on both sides. This doesn't happen with hbo-hd, hdnet or the ota channels. Anyone else notice this?

Btw, I have a dtv1080.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
A lot of HDTV have what is calld framing mine included (RCA F-38310) 1/4 inch on all sides and top and bottom have a 1/4 inch that is 'never' active. Hence the term of framing, to an artist or picture a frame looks best if it is surrounded on 4

sides including top and bottom.

If you don't believe me, go resurrect Rembrant he used wood. as his frame for his million dollar paintings!:)

P. S. stop looking for faults and enjoy the movie, otherwise you will believe you see a pixel out of place. Next you will believe in buying open buckets of steam. lol :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I also have an RCA F38310. There is a black mask (factory design on the picture tube) at the edges of the screen. BUT, on SHO HD, many of their upconverts show an additional black border, I would guess about 1/2 inch on all sides on my screen. I read on another post somewhere that this is visible on my TV because the F38310 has little or no overscan. Other TVs with overscan might not notice the borders.

Anyway, I notice it, but once you are watching the show, you ignore it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks dennis.... you're right. I was watching an upconvert. There's a movie on now that's 1080i and there is no boarder.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm seeing the same thing. ShoHD not filling the entire width of the screen( not the hight ) on my NEC XG and DTC-100, and don't try telling me to stop looking for faults and enjoy the movie. I cant even re-size the picture so that it does reach from side to side, almost but not quite. Is everyone having the same problem ?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just means its not formated to 16x9 so it locks you into 4.3 ratio. I get HD-HBO and HD-Showtime and some movies are full and some are locked 4.3

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Socio... it has nothing to do with 4:3 vs 16:9... what we're seeing on the upconverts is something just shy of 16:9.... about 1/2" boarder on both sides.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The aspect ratio is correct, The picture is simply " shrunk " for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw

Perhaps it's 14:9, common in Europe?

http://www.cybmotion.com/training/14_9.html

Picture
:)

I think it really is shrunk 16:9. I just got Showtime HD a week or two ago, and I noticed it too. Just about all the HD stuff is slightly shrunk, compared to HBO HD. It still maintains 16:9 proportions, it just doesn't quite fill the RCA 38 inch screen.

I guess we should be glad our sets are so accurate to show this difference, which is perhaps only 3 per cent or so. Also a good test to see if a set has overscan or not.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
This is a well documented defect in their upconverter at Showtime. I spoke with their engineer some 2 and a half years ago about it. Not all upconverters do this but Showtime's does. They even sent one back to S&W for exchange and the new one did the same thing. They never did get it fixed. The newer upconverters being sold today don't have this flaw. To fix the problem here, I simply set up a quick memory position on my projector and if I get the urge, I select it and the upconverted shrinkage is blown up to fill my OAR screen. Most of these movies are OAR too, just shrunken a bit.

What amuses me is that since Showtime HD has surfaced on DirecTV, many of their "issues" have resurfaced as new discoveries by DirecTV only HD subscribers. All the problems with Showtime HD posted so far have been observed by us Dish Network subscribers for over 2 years and you can read all about them by doing a search on this forum. Not complaining, just pointing out the facts.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks don, glad to know it's everyone not just my equipment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.