AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 DVFile.com has the first review and it is very positive. I'm looking forward to getting this boxed more than any other I can think of in recent memory.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Do you know whether this series will be encoded as film or video ?

(I ask because I thought Alias was film and I found out it was not and now have to fiddle may way through a proper de-interlacing with my HTPC :mad: )

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well the review does mention that it was shot in film, so we can only hope. When Hallmark recently showed this over the summer, dScaler picked it up as film for 3:2 pull down.

I find it hard to believe that any major network TV show would be encoded as film and not video.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I was under the assumption that 99.9% of TV was video and not film, but I could be wrong.

Isn't Alias now shown in HDTV? If so are they using the cameras Lucas used for Ep2?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most TV shows are shot on film at 24 frames per second, just like film. But many are transfered to tape and then edited on tape, so it is likely that most DVD versions of television programs are video encoded.

Who knows? Certainly not I. My copy of SHOGUN hasn't even shipped yet. :mad:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is finally in the mail. Hope to have it by Saturday.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Purchased this awsome set yesterday and am already at the end of disc 4. Being able to watch this epic without interruption creates a much more cinematic feel.

PQ might have been better, little grainy, blown skies. The long shots suffer most but the majority of closeups, esp. Mariko, looked great.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Much better looking than my S-VHS copies of an old TV airing. The grain and blown skies is inherent in the negatives. There is some EE, unfortunately. Still, so far it's better than expected.

Yoko Shimada looks fricken incredible in the documentary. It is unreal that this woman is now over 50. A shame there is so little of her in the documentary.

Meanwhile Richard Chamberlain looked seriously botoxed! :eek:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Meanwhile Richard Chamberlain looked seriously botoxed! :eek:
lol! Matt, you are HILARIOUS!

htomei

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.