AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to receiver the new Showtime HD. I receive channel 90, have good numbers on all satellites including "C" but get only a black screen on 543. I have spent hours with Directv and done innumerable resets after getting a new card. They tell me that my Sony HD100 is faulty although it works fine with everything but this 543. Does that seem reasonable? Has anyone an idea of how this might be? Your help appreciated. Art

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chances are if you are able to see the banner on channel 90 and you have sustained signal strength on transponders 8, 10, and 12, there is nothing wrong with your receiver, particularly since it works with all other 101 and 119 stations.

If this is the case, DirecTV probably has an activation problem. Many of us were told our receiver had a bad access card when in fact the problem was a failure by the CSR to issue the correct activation command on their end.

They dragged me thru several power off/on cycles before they escalated the problem to their level 2 support guys who concluded the level 1 guy and the CSR were using the wrong procedure to active 543, despite the fact that I was already a Showtime subscriber.

Suggest you verify (in the following sequence):

1. That you have a good signal on transponders 8, 10 and 12

2. You can see channel 90 and that the description field says "If you can see this message and ...."

3. You get video and audio on channels 100 and 400

3. You can see all/most of the other channels you subscribe to on 101, 119.

and if you are successful to this point, escalate the problem to the level 2 support people at DirecTV.

Long shot is to call Sony Tech support and ask if they are hearing this problem from anyone else. But my bet is the problem is not your receiver.

Good luck -- let us know how you resolve this problem.

Dave

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dave.

I have been through all of the above, including a change to a new card and still no 543. I am not discounting the chance of a foolish error on my part, I have a complex system, but I think there is some kind of problem with DTV's software. Their current notion that there is a problem with my receiver seems odd given the fact that I get everything else just fine. Right now I think I am going to talk a neighbor into bringing over his receiver and letting DTV add those numbers for a test. Thanks, again. Art

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did an hour on the phone with Sony and they think that their box is working well. I did an hour and a half with DTV, the usual stuff, and they bumped me to a 2nd level person who had nothing to add but mentioned that DTV was having some problems with the 543 rollout. He forwarded the problem to a third level person who will call me. He could not answer when or how he would contact me.

I do have one anomaly that may or may not be important: I get guide listings for both 543 and for 90 but do not get program information for either. I tried routing the "C'" signal directly to the receiver, eliminating both the combiner and the stuff off of 119, no change.

So frustrating. Art

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.