AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to set all three of these projectors side by side at home and would post my opinion if others would be interested......... I know stupid question..........give me till tomorrow

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If your not posting them, then could you PM me the results as well:)

Thanks,

Fred

·
Registered
474 Posts
Please Mr. Postman.... Ohhhh yeahhhh....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the wait.

I set up both the TV3 and the Maxx in my theatre which has an existing TV2....soon to be TV3. I set both of the additional pj's up on my existing screen as well(Da-Lite 106" High Contrast Cinema Vision). I had them all running at the same time and used DVD covers to block the lenses of the unused projectors. Both the maxx and the TV3 were being fed by the Maxx DVD Player (maxx DVD SDI to Maxx 200 Scaler To PJ and Component to TV3) while my installed TV2 was receiving signal via a Krell DVD Standard. All projectors were getting signal through the same grade of Audioquest Cables. Before I forget the Maxx was using a Panamorphic Lens.

First I sync'd the DVD players and viewed my TV2 which I am very familiar with. IMHO the TV2 looks very good.

Second I fired up the Maxx. Holy crap this thing is bright. Black level is not so good (Green) which I would attribute to D-ILA. Colors were very vivid but keep in mind that everthing is vivid at this point because of the light this thing outputs.....black included. Reds look very good. This projector also looks very film like, which has always been my opinion of D-ILA (resolution). My eyes like to watch this PJ.......very smooth. Almost like a CRT minus the black level.

Third the TV3..........is it on? After watching the Maxx it took a few minutes to acclimate and deal with the difference in light output. WOW. This thing has some serious blacks. Colors are very good and the depth of field is impressive.....very 3D.

In closing I will have to say that the Maxx is a very good PJ. The resolution and DILA (tighness of pixels) allow it to look very filmlike and I would think that it is a matter of time before it is tweaked to improve black level issues. IMHO this projector really wants a bigger screen (120+ Min). At that point your black level would be a little better and it would be force to recon with. I would like this PJ in my home if I were in the habit of viewing with lights on or had a larger screen.

Now in my room light is no issue and my screen is what it is. The Dwin is amazing. The detail is amazing. Black level is way up there.(or down there depending on how you look at life) It is very quiet and does not throw an exessive amount of heat. The best thing about this PJ as with all other Dwin product that I have owned is the processing and how good it makes any given source look. DVD looks every bit as good as HD. Satellite even looks good through it. The lens shift is very helpful allowing one to stick the PJ out of the way. Last but not least, the TV3 is a big improvement over the TV2. It is Brighter has better blacks and more detail. I would suggest those who can upgrade!

I am purchasing the TV3 and would recommend it to anyone. The Maxx/SX21 is also a great projector and definetly has some strong points that cannot be overlooked. I think that it has alot of potential and may benifit the use of another scaler when they become available.

I apologize about the brief review and it's non technical nature. I am ISF trained and could go into more detail if anyone would care. If you have any points that you would like to hear more about let me know.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for your observations!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.