AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I conducted a shootout between my Aperion 4B's and my parent's new Elemental Designs A3-5TC bookshelves.

I used my old Onkyo receiver. I put the EDs on speaker A and the Aperions on speaker B. I put the left speakers together on a little stand and rights together on the other stand. This way you can't tell which speaker is on, only your ears can decide which ones sound better.

Keep in mind the Aperions are $260 a pair and the EDs are $150 a pair(about $132 if you use the package builder 15% disscount).

Both speakers have a 4" midrange a 1" tweeter. The EDs are alot bigger than the Aperions. The Aperions are 8.75" x 5.33" x 5.5". EDs are 9.9" x 6.55" x

7.3". The Aperions are clearly the winner in the looks department. The piano black on the Aperions is stunning. The painted black EDs are not ugly, they just don't give you that "wow" feeling.

I used my wife and son as the test subjects. I would toggle back and forth between the two speaker brands. The EDs are louder. Probable because of there 88.7 sensitivity rating vs. 84 on the Aperions. To compensate I would just turn the volume down a notch when the EDs were on.

It wasn't hard for them to quickly pick speakers B(Aperion) as the better sounding speakers. The Aperions had more bass and sounded alot cleaner. The EDs by no means sounded bad just clearly not as good as the Aperions.

Conclusion:

If you are on a budget, the EDs are a great option. If you can aford the extra cost of the Aperions go with them. They are clearly better.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog /forum/post/14275799

Last night I conducted a shootout between my Aperion 4B's and my parent's new Elemental Designs A3-5TC bookshelves.

I used my old Onkyo receiver. I put the EDs on speaker A and the Aperions on speaker B. I put the left speakers together on a little stand and rights together on the other stand. This way you can't tell which speaker is on, only your ears can decide which ones sound better.

Keep in mind the Aperions are $260 a pair and the EDs are $150 a pair(about $132 if you use the package builder 15% disscount).

Both speakers have a 4" midrange a 1" tweeter. The EDs are alot bigger than the Aperions. The Aperions are 8.75" x 5.33" x 5.5". EDs are 9.9" x 6.55" x

7.3". The Aperions are clearly the winner in the looks department. The piano black on the Aperions is stunning. The painted black EDs are not ugly, they just don't give you that "wow" feeling.

I used my wife and son as the test subjects. I would toggle back and forth between the two speaker brands. The EDs are louder. Probable because of there 88.7 sensitivity rating vs. 84 on the Aperions. To compensate I would just turn the volume down a notch when the EDs were on.

It wasn't hard for them to quickly pick speakers B(Aperion) as the better sounding speakers. The Aperions had more bass and sounded alot cleaner. The EDs by no means sounded bad just clearly not as good as the Aperions.

Conclusion:

If you are on a budget, the EDs are a great option. If you can aford the extra cost of the Aperions go with them. They are clearly better.

nice test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts