AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retailers in my area only sell Monster Cable (ie. DVI4002M for $99), which is way out of my budget. I found a DVI-D cable for $23 from Pacific Cable (DVIDL-2) on the web and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with their cables and could mabey explain the huge price difference between them and Monster Cable.

·
Registered
644 Posts
don't have any direct experience w/ pacific cable, but their name has been mentioned in other posts looking for advice on purchasing cables. the huge price difference is due to the fact that monster overcharges for their products and that some people are willing to pay for the monster name. the general consensus is that there is minimal, if any, difference in quality between monster & less expensive brands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I needed a DVI cable to go from my HTPC to my Samsung DLP (HLN567W). I refused to spend $50-$100 for a cable. Based on recommendations from people on this site, I went with Pacific Cable. Very fast shipping and a good product. They charge a $2 handling fee and reasonable shipping (around $7 for fedex 2 day). I also picked up a couple of TOSLINK (optical audio) cables from them that were much cheaper than what you find in local stores. Go for it. You will probably be extrememly happy that you did. And no, I don't work for Pacific Cable... I am just a very satisfied customer that was in the same boat as you who wanted to share my experience. Feel free to drop me a note if you have any more questions about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. When I saw the cheaper prices on the web it sent up red flags because it just didn't make sense that they could be 1/3 the price and similar quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed that some of the DVI-D cables have a "Ferret Core" at each end and some do not (at least from the pictures available on the web). Not knowing what the purpose of a ferret core is, does that imply anything about the quality of the cables?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ennsm
I noticed that some of the DVI-D cables have a "Ferret Core" at each end and some do not (at least from the pictures available on the web). Not knowing what the purpose of a ferret core is, does that imply anything about the quality of the cables?
Its main purpose is to suck the money out of your bank account ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used the DVI cable from the Sony HD300 STB and I have no complaint. The custom installation tech at the Kromer Radio in Toronto told me don't bother with the expensive DVI cable because I wouldn't see any differences. It is digital and it is only "0" and "1".

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
It's a ferrite core, not a "ferret" core! It serves as a simple common mode choke, to prevent (or at least reduce) the emission or reception of RF interference. It's a good thing.

I recently bought a DVI cable (with ferrite cores) from a fellow on eBay for just one dollar, and five dollars shipping. It works flawlessly, so I would run fast from any dealer trying to sell a monster cable for $99!!

http://cgi6.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sort=3&rows=50

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do a search on Ebay for user "Bayviewnet"

He has a plethera of 1 way DVI-D cables (pretty much what most of us need) on there starting at a 1.00.

I got mine for 6.25 shipped.... :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will need a 25ft DVI-D cable. Anyone got recommendations for one this long and which is cheap also. I only want to do temporary hook up to see if it's a lot better than component before I try to install it out of sight to the projector. The plug is a lot bigger than the other cables to get though openings.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Quote:
I'd guess that the "D" in the DVI-D indicator means that the "Ferret Core" is comprised of dead ferrets? I'd have to have to move the tv all the time to feed the cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my 6 ft. DVI-D cable at a computer store for $16.99. It works just fine. It transmits all the ones and zeros from my Moto5100 cable box to my Sammy DLP just as well as the $150 Monster cable Circuit City will sell you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.