AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a projector with a long lamp warranty, due to my bad experience with a PLV-Z1 eating 6 lamps in 2.5 years. Sanyo warranted the original lamp for 90 days and replacement lamps for 30 days only. I had 2 replacement lamps die before 90 days - both out of warranty. Obviously, Sanyo is not an option for my replacement projector !

So far, I see that Mitsubishi and Viewsonic both offer 1yr lamp warranty, at least on the initial lamp, and then 90 days for subsequent lamps. I have started taking a look on their offerings, but the Viewsonics sure don't have very good specs ...

Besides the lamp warranty, my other requirements are :

- minimum resolution of 960x540 - I don't want to go lower than my PLV-Z1.

- capable of projecting onto a 16:9 106" diagonal screen (92"x52") from a shelf about 12 feet away on a high wall

- vertical lens shift required, horizontal shift is not a must

- max of $3000 street price

- multiyear warranty on the projector itself would be nice too

All recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Some vendors are providing lamp warrantees if you buy it with the PJ. There are lots of 1280 x 720 PJ choices in your price range. Send me a PM with your email address for more details.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I believe HP projectors have 2 year lamp warranties now.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ja phule,

Could you please point to the HP models that have 2 yr lamp warranties ?

So far, on the HP web site I found that HP provides "2000 hrs or 1 yr, whichever comes first", on the projector.

This is slightly better than Sanyo in the first year, since my first Sanyo lamp lasted about 8 months at 700 hrs. However, the Sanyo projector is warrantied for 3yrs ...

On additional lamps, HP appears to do "200 hrs or 1 hr", whichever comes first. I haven't had a Sanyo lamp die before 200hrs, so this is no better.

This was for HP models ep7120 and ep9010 . I didn't check warranties for every single projector and lamp they had.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For a projector to eat that many bulbs continuously seems to speak to a bigger problem than the pj itself. Biggest possible culprit is low voltage. The other possibility is a non 60hz AC cycle. Checking line voltage is easy enough with an inexpensive volt meter. Not so sure on how you can test AC cycle to see if there is a problem there. Hopefully one of our more skilled electrician members can chime in on this one.

Of course it could just be a faulty pj (in which case Sanyo SHOULD repair, but seems they don't stand behind their warranty unless you get an attorney involved.) Either way, I would spend some time and confirm that there is not an AC problem that would cause issues with a new projector also.

Rob

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
Ja phule,

Could you please point to the HP models that have 2 yr lamp warranties ?

So far, on the HP web site I found that HP provides "2000 hrs or 1 yr, whichever comes first", on the projector.

This is slightly better than Sanyo in the first year, since my first Sanyo lamp lasted about 8 months at 700 hrs. However, the Sanyo projector is warrantied for 3yrs ...

On additional lamps, HP appears to do "200 hrs or 1 hr", whichever comes first. I haven't had a Sanyo lamp die before 200hrs, so this is no better.

This was for HP models ep7120 and ep9010 . I didn't check warranties for every single projector and lamp they had.
I guess I was wrong, 2000 hours or 1 year. Still pretty good in my book.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechOkie
Biggest possible culprit is low voltage. The other possibility is a non 60hz AC cycle. Rob
In North America, line frequencies other than 60Hz are very, very unlikely unless you're served by a private power source of some sort. Pretty much the entire North American electrical grid has to be synchronized in phase at exactly 60Hz in order to allow sharing between generation and distribution facilities. In addition, most clocks powered by a wall outlet use the 60Hz frequency as their time base - any variance would cause the clock to run fast or slow.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ja Phule,

2000 and 1 yr is great, but it is only on the first bulb. HP's warranty on subsequent bulb is as pathetic as the others (Sanyo is 30 days for example).

I need a projector with 1yr warranty on every bulb, not just the first one.

Anything less means I cannot continue to afford owning a projector .

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
Ja Phule,

2000 and 1 yr is great, but it is only on the first bulb. HP's warranty on subsequent bulb is as pathetic as the others (Sanyo is 30 days for example).

I need a projector with 1yr warranty on every bulb, not just the first one.

Anything less means I cannot continue to afford owning a projector .
I would suggest looking for venders that will provide an extended warranty on lamps for an additional cost.

Infocus allows you to buy an extended warranty on their lamps. It will extend the regular warranty of 90 days or 500hrs, to 1 year and unlimited hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.