AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've heard what good speakers sound like, I'm looking for new headphones for my portable CD/MP3 player. (I currently have a four-year-old Kenwood KPM310 hooked up to a Samsung MCD-MP67. Pretty basic stuff.) The price range is somewhat flexible, with a upper limit of maybe $80-100 USD if it's worth it, but they need to be a "closed" design. They're for use on public transit, so they need to block some outside noise, and they must be below the level of background noise for other people when they're at normal listening levels.

Is shopping for headphones different from loudspeakers, and if so, what do I look for? (Other than the word "Sennheiser", if anything...)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I love the Sennheiser 600s, but they're a little higher in price than it sounds like you want. Lower priced Senns are fine as well. Definitely do some research over at
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=1

Those folks know headphones better than anyone that I know!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sennheisers are great! And I have the 600's. But you won't find them for under $100. And they aren't good for transporting with a mobile music player.

I think you are looking for some collapsible types. Check out sonystyle.com. They have some nice portable headphones that should fit the bill.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hmm headphones that block outside noise yet don't leak any of the music they are playing to the outside ? There's only one answer. Etymotics ER-4P. Unfortunately they are way out of your price range if your limit is $80-$100.

-MarcW

·
Registered
136 Posts
The ER-4S is actually better for audiophile listening than the ER-4P. And the 4S is loud enough for portables, too. It simply has more highs than the 4P (unless you buy a dedicated $40.00 cable from Etymotic).

No disrespect to Marc for mentioning the 4P, though. It is second only to the 4S. No other earphones (and few headphones) can touch those two models for clarity and detail.

The most revealing headphone in the $70.00 price range is the Sony MDR-V6 (not to be confused with the wretched V-600). It is identical to the newer $119 7506 but for the lack of a gold plug. It can be had new for $69 and change from hogwild.com -- though the model has already been discontinued, so you might want to act quickly. I've also seen the V6 at gray market shops in Chinatown in NYC.

Beyerdynamic also makes some good headphones for your purposes. Some people find the 831 too bright and bass-shy, but I disagree. I just picked up a pair used for $90. You can see their retail prices at headroom.com and meier-audio.com before bidding on them at audiogon (and ebay, of course).

I already have a pair of Senn 600s but find I listen to the V6 and 831 more. It's just a question of taste: I prefer headphones that are analytical and unforgiving. I'd rather be told the truth than have my feelings spared.

All the best, and enjoy whichever headphones you choose.

By the way: Both the V6 and 831 are closed headphones and so have very little leakage; the V6 is even quieter than the 831. Whereas the Senn 600s are open phones, which means you can be certain others will be able to hear them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Sennheiser HD580 is currently offered at Newegg.com for $126 shipped, with a $20 mail-in rebate to Sennheiser.

Newegg is a very-well respected (primarily computer parts) online vendor in California.

link

Oh, and about these headphones, from what people say they're a step down from HD600's, but a very very very slight step down. I personally have a pair, and they go well with computer and HT music use. (Paid about $135 shipped for mines off of eBay)

·
Registered
996 Posts
well one more for the senns but a little cheaper this time

I love the sound of the orpheus ...... oops those are a little high:D

no realy I have a pair of the eH2200's and I love them and the best thing is the cord is replaceable !!! I think I paid like 60.00 or so a few years ago

kevin

·
Registered
499 Posts
$80-100 closed headphones and no one is recommending the Sennheiser HD-280s? They are probably the most popular in that category. The HD-280 and Sony V6 that scrypt mentioned are the two most recommended headphones for your needs.

I don't know why people are recommending the open Senns.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BradJudy
$80-100 closed headphones and no one is recommending the Sennheiser HD-280s? They are probably the most popular in that category. The HD-280 and Sony V6 that scrypt mentioned are the two most recommended headphones for your needs.

I don't know why people are recommending the open Senns.

whoops.. i totally missed his point on "closed" phones.. go for the Sony V6's - they're within your budget and sound great.

·
Registered
996 Posts
BTW the eH2200 are closed and my co-workers cant here my music till I take them off and dont turn it down......and then they think I got my speakers on the desktop on ...HEHEHEE:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the great replies -- I'm completely blown away.

I'll definitely look for the Sony V6, which is a brand that I wouldn't have considered previously. (Headphone.com mentions that Sony makes a couple of good headphones, and then doesn't mention which models they are. Ah, well If I can't find the V6, are there any others I should look at?

My local store carries the Panasonic RPHT-710 as their top headphone, which is well under my budget, but it looks decent from the stats on the web. There's another store downtown which reports that they have "All kinds of sennhieser" within my price range, but oddly, all of the models he named were double it. He does have the Denon AHD-210, which seems a little on the unattractive side, but it might be a nice I-can't-afford-what-I-really-want and it's-just-an-MP3-player-anyway compromise. Or, should I just roll my pennies and get the most expensive Sennhieser I can afford?

I also saw the reviews of the Etymotics EP-4 series, but that's just a tad over budget. I'm trying to buy this with my lunch money, after all. Maybe my next set...

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not usually in this area, but... I have the Sony MDR 7506 (around $100 us). They are full sized closed phones. I understand this model is often used for mixing in studios. Sound very good, comfortable, loud enough for me from my portable cd/mp3 player.

It might be worth your time to check out the Radio Shack Pro 35. Yes, I said Radio Shack. ;) The Pro 35s are around $40 us. They are not completey closed like the Sony 7506, but someone would have to be very close or you would have to be playing them very loud to be overheard. These are more lightweight and portable than the Sony above.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sony makes some crap headphones and a few (just a few) good ones that are worth their value.

The Sony V6 is widely considered as one of the best closed headphones, especially with their price (~$60 street price). Look on eBay or a few other sites (i'm sure many online etailers will carry them) to find them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been very pleased with the HeadRoom-Recommended Beyer DT250-80, but those are a little beyond your budget. The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro fits your budget well and is a sealed designed. I used to have the Sennheiser HD 210s, an early cousin of the 280s, and they sounded remarkably good.

-Mike...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can also vouch for the Sony V6 and/or the 7506 (they are identical - I own a pair of each). I also ordered a pair of replacement earpads from the V600's from Sony's parts site, and while they are not the same shape, I find that they are even more comfortable than the original pads and seal out even more outside noise.

They're also very well constructed. I've owned my V6's since they were a brand-new model, which is quite a while, and aside from finally needing the pads replaced this year they are as good as new.

-Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
The ER-4S is actually better for audiophile listening than the ER-4P. And the 4S is loud enough for portables, too. It simply has more highs than the 4P (unless you buy a dedicated $40.00 cable from Etymotic). No disrespect to Marc for mentioning the 4P, though. It is second only to the 4S. No other earphones (and few headphones) can touch those two models for clarity and detail.
Hehe I figured somebody would post something about the 4S. Many people say that the 4S is better for audiophile listening and I agree in theory. I bought the 4P because I like my bass and the 4P delivers better bass response w/o a dedicated headphone amp in an portable environment. Plus you can convert the 4P to a 4S anytime by adding the cable while you can not make a 4P out of a 4S. Either way I don't think one can go wrong with the 4S or 4P. I was simply blown away by these headphones when I first got them and they amaze me to this day. I'm flying to Germany in a couple of weeks and can't wait to mute all the crying babies on the plane with these magnificent headphones.

-MarcW

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What about the er-6P?

This has very close performance to the 4P and fits the posters budget. It will blockout more background noise than a closed phone and it is WAY less conspicuous.

Unless you are into "geek sheek" you probably will feel a little self concious wearing a bulky closed phone design on public transportation.

Go to http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020100100 for more info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kirknelson
What about the er-6P?

This has very close performance to the 4P and fits the posters budget. It will blockout more background noise than a closed phone and it is WAY less conspicuous.

Unless you are into "geek sheek" you probably will feel a little self concious wearing a bulky closed phone design on public transportation.

Go to http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020100100 for more info.
I was thinking about how much noise the EP-4/6 would block out just this morning -- something promted by the bus driver having to honk his horn to wake me up. (In an enclosed underground station at 7am, great.) While the earmuff style is not that attractive, and certainly is something I'd want to minimize, with the EP-4's on people would mistake me for dead.

Are there any ear-bud style earphones that don't leak sound, while not providing complete isolation? I've looked, but without any luck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6's that I use when riding around in the back of airplanes. Theyr'e amazing sounding little phones honestly rivaling my Stax home rig in terms of quality sound, they block noise exceptionally well, however you can still hear what's going on around you. If you've ever worn foam ear plugs, they're quite similar in that regard. Getting a good ear seal for proper bass and noise reduction takes some practice as does getting used to the feeling of having something in your ear canals, but with a little time for adjustment the payoff is outstanding. For the price I can't imagine anything better for a traveler.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.