AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have my eye on a couple of Yamaha receivers: the HTR-5590 and the RX-V1000 & 3000. These units are selling for between $600 & $800 and thats about what I'm looking to spend for the home theater I'm in the process of building.

Can anyone tell me about these 3 units? Is one much better than the others? I'm confused about the Dolby Pro LogicII. The 5590 has it but the other 2 have something called "All-Channel Stereo". Is this better than Pro logicII? I was under the impression that The RXV line was a notch above the HTR's. But I'm not sure.

Also, is the RXZ1 really worth the money? I think it's selling for $2000.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
422 Posts
Brauma, I suggest coming at the issue a little differently. In your price range there are plenty of receivers that will sound great. So pick a receiver for its ability to integrate with the control of your other equipment. If your other equipment is all Yamaha, then focus on the Yamaha receivers. If it's all Sony, concentrate on Sony's receivers, and so on.

You can get a remote that allows you to press enough buttons to control any combination of boxes, so you certainly can mix and match, but that's money you're not spending on the sound or video or the content that will play through the system.

I would also say that when you have $800 to spend, NOTHING is worth $2000, if you know what I mean. A fabulous receiver might not outperform its humbler brethren by much if it isn't mated to audiophile speakers via high-end cables.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I am actually building my home theater so most everything will be new. I've got an old Kenwood system that I've had since the mid-eighties that I'll be retiring. Don't laugh, it's been very good to me over the years. The only things that Ive had to replace are the speakers and the tape deck. Terrible Ted Nugent took out my speakers not long after I bought the system so I replaced them with Klipsch KG4's. I love those speakers.

As far as matching up my components, I'm not sure I can do that. The main focus of the home theater I'm building will be the TV (sony) a HD tuner (not purchased yet - I'm looking at the Sony and the Samsung) and a DVD player. I don't think Yamaha makes a DVD player. I'm dead set on going Yamaha because of input from friends and what Ive read. Yamaha appears to be a top notch receiver. So my system will be a compilation of different name brands not by choice, but that just seams to be the way its going.

I'm looking hard at the 5590. If anyone reads this that has a 5590 or another Yamaha receiver that they think I should look at please let me know. I will look at the RXV1300, loopy. Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mark, the 5590 and rxv1300 are the same receiver. The HTR series is just marketed through mass market stores and online. It's a very nice receiver, good sound and easy-to-use remote control. The rxv1000 and 3000 are older model receivers, so they might not have all the currect sound fields, but should also sound good. If you go to Yamaha's website they have some information on older receivers there.

You may also want to consider the RXV2300. It has built-in multi-zone capablities, so you can play two different sources in different rooms at the same time. It also has an RS232C port that allows you to connect it to a computer to download software upgrades, such as sound fields that may come out in the future. It retails for $999, but you should be able to find it for less.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mark, I have the HTR-5490 and love it in my hometheater system. As the 5590 has more power, you should love it even more. The main difference between the receivers are that the 5590 doesn`t have preamp outputs and the 1300 does. You don`t need them in a hometheater application. The DPL-2 is the single biggest thing I like about the Yamaha or any receiver for that matter. What it does for music is incredible. A must-have for a 5.1 sound system. And Yamaha`s HD bandwidth is the best in it`s class, period! Do what I did and search the internet for the best price. The 5490 listed for $899 and I found it for $574 at the Camera Club in NY 2 months after it was out. Happy hunting, Robin :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone. Fireshoes is right - the 5590 and the 1300 are the exact same receiver. I went to the Yamaha web site and printed off all the specs on the 5590, 5560, 1000, 3000 & the 1300. The 1300 & the 5590 were identical.

Thanks for suggesting the 2300 Fireshoes. I will look at it next.

Robin, I'm with you - the Dolby PL II is a must. I noticed that the 1000 & 3000 didn't have it. Learning here that they are older receivers makes sense.

Mark

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you`ve heard DP-2, you`d understand Strike. Find a system with DP-2 and give it a listen. It leaves 2-channel stereo in the dust. There`s a real good article explaining DPL-2 in the current issue (jan 2003) of Sound&Vision. READ IT! Enjoy the music, Robin

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fireshoes
The 5590 has the pre-outs too, according to Yamaha's website. They really should be identical.
I looked up that 5590 on crutchfields website, and on the back in saw no pre-outs, I saw 6 channel inputs. I also looked up the manuals for each on yamaha website, the 1300 has pre-outs, the 5590 does not. I would get the 1300 if I had to choose between the two models, but that's just me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Robin, dolby pl II leaving 2 channel stereo in the dust is quite a statement. I will admit that I have yet to demo dpl II, so I will reserve my personal judgement until that time. But even with 5.1 dts music and dvd-a your telling me that dlp II has revolutionized 2 channel music reproduction in your opinion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Strike, from what I understand about DPLII, is takes a music CD and instead of just sending it out in stereo to 2 speakers, it "simulates" 5.1 and sends it out to your 5 speakers plus a sub-woofer if you have it.

Mark

·
Registered
189 Posts
Brauma, that may be a cool option. I enjoy a good 5.1 audio mix. Plus I really like listening to dvd-a's. However, I like pure 2 channel stereo as much or better.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.