AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a step up or two from what I have now. Years ago I purchased a Sony HTIB HTDDW750 which included a STR-K750P. Last year I upgraded my Receiver to a Sony STR-DG810. I kept the speakers and there specs are:

The (4) Surrounds are SS-MSP75: (3 5/8''x6''x5'')

Center is SS-CNP75: (9 1/8''x3 5/8''x5'')

Sensitivity level: 86dB (1 W, 1 m)

Freq Range: 160 Hz - 20kHz

Not the most desirable setup, and I really don't have a clue on what I need to do or what to buy. Anyways, I would like them mounted up to the ceiling as the current ones are since they won't be in the way of a high traffic area. I have about a 12'' height to work with and 3 of the 4 are in corners. I am not sure if I would be better off setting up the front closer to the tv and not on the Ceiling. I just would like to know what would be recommended for this config. Here is a diagram of current configuration:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
You need a subwoofer, and you need to get brackaets and ceiling/wall mount the speakers, Don't forget the wire too, get the flat white wire and run it up the wall and along the side walls with some raceways to cover it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already have the wall mounts and have mounted the speakers mentioned, wires are run through the wall up in the attic. The sub I got is a simple Sony 75W that came with the HTIB. I want to find something to replace the center/front/surrounds since they are crap...

Any ideas on some replacement.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel'thalin /forum/post/15513611

I have already have the wall mounts and have mounted the speakers mentioned, wires are run through the wall up in the attic. The sub I got is a simple Sony 75W that came with the HTIB. I want to find something to replace the center/front/surrounds since they are crap...

Any ideas on some replacement.

What brands are you interested in? Son, KLH , Klipsch?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Not being critical or anything, but why not switch the function of the two spaces living-dining. That way no walk through from Kitchen to dining right in the middle of living space? Also main entrance in living instead of dining??? The space you have for dining would make a much better HT. Straight ahead TV viewing without all the doorways......just a thought.

As for repl. speakers.....what's your budget?

If you're gonna mount them near the ceiling again, anything will do since all of the imaging characteristics are out the window mounted that way. The fronts should be mounted with the speakers tweeters positioned at the seated ear level and the center should be angled if needed so the tweeter is at ear level as well...picture if you drew a straight line from the tweeter to the couch. The surrounds are... ok... up in the corners.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photo has been updated on 1st post (there is passage directly from the kitchen to the dining room). Anyways, I guess I am a very confusing person about expressing what I am needing?

I just want to step of the quality of what I have now a notch or two so budget wise I am looking at spending $500-800 just for the center/fronts/rears. If I am throwing my quality out the window because of mounting them so high, would I be better with a tower setup on the floor? I mean I can patch up where the mounts where, I placed them up there having no clue on what I was doing...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hey Kiel, it's as much about room setup as it is the gear. The whole surround format is based around sound reaching the listener at a specific time from the different speakers in relationship to eachother. Here's some basics to help you.

The main listening position should be centered with the screen and the center channel. In your case, that would be the right seat of the couch from the screen view. It should be the tv is centered to the couch but that doesn't look possible in your case so we'll work around it. I'll add if i may that 14 feet is waaay to far a comfortable viewing distance for a 46" TV. 10' is about the maximum if you use the formula 2.5*diagonal=Viewing Distance.

OK, so the front three speakers should be matched where they have the same sound qualities or 'Timbre'. The purpose is for a smooth summing of the sound from all three front speakers which will be producing different content from eachother. They should be from the same manufacturer and series.

As for surrounds, no need to change anything-including the speakers. They'll do fine for surround duties.

Your budget leaves enough for a sub, so keep the one you have and get an additional sub. I'd use the Sony sub up front with the new speakers as a Mid Bass module, since it really isn't a sub, it just produces the low frequencies that the small speakers from the HTIB couldn't. That short wall on the left between the window and the back door should work for the new sub.

Lets look at placement of the front three.

Your soundstage is wide so keep it that way. It'll image better if the main left and right speakers have some distance between them.

The positioning is locked by the right speaker having to go to the right of the hallway doorway, so whatever that dimension is from the right of the screen, the left speaker should be the same. The distance to the listener is locked by the left speaker and the wall. Try and move it out from the wall about 6" and then align the right speaker the same by moving it forward to match the left. This will give you the triangle you want where the sound from the left and right reach the listener at the same time. Towers, or bookshelves, either will do. As stated inmy first reply make sure the tweeter height is about seated ear level, whic is usually between 36 and 40". Given your long viewing distance, you have a little rooom to play.

For your original Sony sub, Place it somewhere between the TV and the left side speaker, closer to the TV if possible. In regards to the center channel, because of the long viewing distance, the bigger the better. You can put it above the TV or below, just make sure it's angled properly to it's horizontal plane winds up at seated ear level again. Also most center channels are rear ported so if so make sure there's at least 6" behind the speaker for the port to breathe.

Let's look at some real world options for speakers. You've got a pretty big space so tower or floorstanders won't be out of scale and draw too much attention to themselves. Bookshelf speakers on stands are another fine option but you have doorways very close to their positions, so the risk of a knock-over is high...something to consider.

A good sounding, good looking option would be these.
http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/catalog/16/7926/

It's narrow design heps with placement and the front firing port allows for the close placement to the rear wall and will reinforce bass extension and integrate better with a sub. For the price, it's about the best value out there.

An excellent matching center would be this
http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/catalog/14/7929/

It's big, i know...but it's one of the very few center channels that by design, does things right. The two smaller midrange drivers will lock the sound and reduce what is called comb filtering. The added woofers will allow the midrange to play cleaner and sharpen vocal clarity. IMO it's one of the best center channels regardless of price.

Including shipping, we've spent about $500, so given your budget we've got about $300 left for a real subwoofer. Take a look

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-770

It's a kit, but all it requires to assemble is a screw driver and spray glue.Being carefull and patient, it should takeno more than half an hour..It's that simple! The 15" driver does well with the low frequency extension and it will pretty much crush any commercial sub in it's pricepoint. Read the reviews.

You'll want to use the crossover on the sub and set it between 60 and 80hz in combination with your existing Sony sub. Set your speakers to Small in the receiver set up menu and set the crossover freq to 100hz. That will send the the midbass to the Sony Sub which will 'roll off' naturally around 40hz. The new sub will start playing material around 60hz and lower to about 25Hz where natural room gain will take over.

Ok so that sums up what i would do with $800 and having to work with the same space without re-arranging the furniture and having to look at the gear day after day. Hope i've helped.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that is some information I can really use! Exactly what I am looking for. I have spent the last few days arranging furniture all over the place. Still no change, had to put it back to orginal config.

Now, I have made some measurements and from the edge of the backdoor when open to the right of the hallway is approximately 130 inches. I was planning on wall mounting the TV centered above a 51" stand with the center channel centered on the stand. With that setup it will put the left edge of the right speaker at minimum 66.5" from center (1/2 stand width plus distance to otherside of hallway, 25.5" + 41" = 66.5"). On the left side I only have 63.5" (130" - 66.5") to the left until I am into the open backdoor. Is it absolutely important to get them exactly equal distance apart?

After calculating all of that, would it make better sense to just place the center channel slightly to the right on the stand (centered on the listener on the couch)? That would allow more of an equal spread.

Finally I might have a problem with the right sticking out too far (you recommended 6") from the wall even though there will 20"+ available behind it.

Thanks again,

K.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
6" would be the minimum dstance from the rear wall, there is no maximum so no worries there.

Shift the TV and stand mounting 1" to the right and that'll be close enough given the listening distance.

Do you already have the stand?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This attached diagram shows exactly the ideal placement for the floorstanders based on how the center channel is placed on the TV stand to the ideal seating position. The orange line(s) shows center channel centered on the right side of the stand. This would a better chance of the left and right to be equally placed. Otherwise the Left will have to sit closer to the center than the right. I do have room between the window and the door to place another subwoofer, so that is looking good. Like I said, I really don't know what I am doing and would like to consider things before I make purchases so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts