AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for new TV and listening to many reviews and opinions.
I wonder what would you chose 77" OLED or 85" QLED? I used the TV Viewing Distance calculator and for my sitting distance (about 8-9 feet) 77" gets me to 38.5 deg while 85" puts me in 42 deg.

I'm considering OLED Sony 77" XR A80J or LG 77" Class C1 vs QLED Sony 85" X91J or X95J. The X95J is bit out of my price range but I still consider it.
I'm not a gamer at all so any of the gaming or HDMI 2.1 futures are not important to me. However, as I use almost exclusively Apple TV so the Dolby Vision is a must. I almost exclusively stream the content and never do off the air broadcasting. The room is bright but for the evening viewing I will be using some kind of ambient light. The TV sound is not critical as I will be using external speakers.

I'm currently using the Sony 75X900F bought few years ago. This new purchase is not a replacement, it is an addition to new location.
I would really appreciate the community opinion and recommendation. Should I go for smaller OLED or bigger QLED?

·
Registered
15,912 Posts
Most here in the OLED area (including me) will tell you OLED all the way. Of course, you will get a different answer in the LCD area. :)
Seriously, I always go with picture quality, thus OLED, for the superior blacks, contrast, and side angle viewing. But OLED loses some of its advantages if your viewing room is bright and you can't control the ambient light. For watching/streaming movies in a dark room, LED just doesn't compare to OLED. I guess the 83" Sony A90J is out of your price range?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
83” OLED. Wait for Black Friday if you can. I’m sure the 83C1 will come down a little more.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wonder what would you chose 77" OLED or 85" QLED? I used the TV Viewing Distance calculator and for my sitting distance (about 8-9 feet) 77" gets me to 38.5 deg while 85" puts me in 42 deg.

I'm considering OLED Sony 77" XR A80J or LG 77" Class C1 vs QLED Sony 85" X91J or X95J. The X95J is bit out of my price range but I still consider it.
I'm not a gamer at all so any of the gaming or HDMI 2.1 futures are not important to me. However, as I use almost exclusively Apple TV so the Dolby Vision is a must. I almost exclusively stream the content and never do off the air broadcasting. The room is bright but for the evening viewing I will be using some kind of ambient light. The TV sound is not critical as I will be using external speakers.

I'm currently using the Sony 75X900F bought few years ago. This new purchase is not a replacement, it is an addition to new location.
I would really appreciate the community opinion and recommendation. Should I go for smaller OLED or bigger QLED?
QLED the blooming is unacceptable.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
83” OLED. Wait for Black Friday if you can. I’m sure the 83C1 will come down a little more.
In a recent interview, Robert Zohn of Value Electronics wasn't very optimistic about significant Black Friday price cuts this year. So far, demand for the larger sets has kept really good pace with supply. So, there isn't really any need for the manufacturers to cut prices. Granted, Black Friday is still 3 months away and a lot can happen between now and then. But, with Covid continuing on the pace that it is, I don't think that we're going to see a significant increase in supply. So, people need to hope that the demand falls off steeply pretty soon.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Forget the motion in the ocean. Be a size queen! Most of my content is streaming so I’d rather have the bigger picture…. and so I went 82” QLED. I think I’d have buyer’s remorse if I went anything smaller [to 75”, the equivalent in price].

·
Registered
634 Posts
You will absolutely love the 77a80j.

Room brightness? My living room window is 18 feet long and 8 feet high. I don’t need to turn on any lights because it is always bright. The light makes no difference for my viewing. (Note: I don’t have direct sunlight hitting the TV.)

I recently bought the Sony 65a80j OLED. (couldn’t afford the 77a80j at this time). I spent a lot of time comparing the Sony 75x90j and Sony x95j. Where I am, the 85x95j is priced similar to the 77a80j. I felt the x95j is a very good TV, but still can‘t compare to the a80j line. (Note: I started the x95j thread several weeks ago and posted lots of pictures)

I was worried about NOT getting a 75” TV... I got my first 75” LED (Samsung) about 4-5 years ago, and I do love that larger size.

However, I’m sitting 8.5 feet from my screen, and I love the 65a80j. True, the size is not 75”, and sometimes I wish it was, but every day I love the picture quality of the OLED. I’m so happy I chose the 65a80j instead of a 75” LED.. If I had gotten a 75” LED, then I know I would have wanted OLED every time I watched the TV, because I would care about PQ all the time.

For you, the 77a80j will feel very large, and the picture quality will crush the LED choices. Yes, an 85” LED would feel larger, it’s true... but at 8.5 feet the 77a80j will be awesome, and the picture quality is one of the best in the world right now.

Look at the a80j owner’s thread. Everyone who got the 77a80j loves it. No one is saying they wish they had gotten a bigger LED.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The X91J would be a downgrade in some ways, it is a rebrand of the X900H and that one was several worse specs compared to the X900F you already have.

If you can live with the same size then go with OLED, however, because of the ambient light, the X95J could offer a better (more immersive) experience especially at the bigger size.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
***Having both an OLED TV (Sony A9S - 48”) and a LCD TV (Sony 900F - 75”) - I can tell you that’s it’s not an easy choice. Here’s the rub - you can’t beat an OLED for picture quality, color depth, shadow detail and of course, dark blacks. But in the larger OLED panel sizes, OLED can suffer from banding, blobbing, grid and tinting. Banding, IMHO, is the number one picture killer. There is nothing worse. My recommendation is to consider the room and go with the largest set you can find with the best picture uniformity. And make sure you have a solid return policy.

Reactions: jslv

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your requirement is Dolby Vision, QLED is off the table, at least with Samsung.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
In a recent interview, Robert Zohn of Value Electronics wasn't very optimistic about significant Black Friday price cuts this year. So far, demand for the larger sets has kept really good pace with supply. So, there isn't really any need for the manufacturers to cut prices. Granted, Black Friday is still 3 months away and a lot can happen between now and then. But, with Covid continuing on the pace that it is, I don't think that we're going to see a significant increase in supply. So, people need to hope that the demand falls off steeply pretty soon.
Even if the case, they will dip a bit but I tend to agree without really knowing anything that prices won't drop as much as people want it for holding out. Especially the 77/83 models

if anything I think 55/65 will because there are so many older models of those out, and 83 is new and 77 is only relatively new - at least at not astronomical prices

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will absolutely love the 77a80j.

Room brightness? My living room window is 18 feet long and 8 feet high. I don’t need to turn on any lights because it is always bright. The light makes no difference for my viewing. (Note: I don’t have direct sunlight hitting the TV.)

I recently bought the Sony 65a80j OLED. (couldn’t afford the 77a80j at this time). I spent a lot of time comparing the Sony 75x90j and Sony x95j. Where I am, the 85x95j is priced similar to the 77a80j. I felt the x95j is a very good TV, but still can‘t compare to the a80j line. (Note: I started the x95j thread several weeks ago and posted lots of pictures)

I was worried about NOT getting a 75” TV... I got my first 75” LED (Samsung) about 4-5 years ago, and I do love that larger size.

However, I’m sitting 8.5 feet from my screen, and I love the 65a80j. True, the size is not 75”, and sometimes I wish it was, but every day I love the picture quality of the OLED. I’m so happy I chose the 65a80j instead of a 75” LED.. If I had gotten a 75” LED, then I know I would have wanted OLED every time I watched the TV, because I would care about PQ all the time.

For you, the 77a80j will feel very large, and the picture quality will crush the LED choices. Yes, an 85” LED would feel larger, it’s true... but at 8.5 feet the 77a80j will be awesome, and the picture quality is one of the best in the world right now.

Look at the a80j owner’s thread. Everyone who got the 77a80j loves it. No one is saying they wish they had gotten a bigger LED.
Thank you for your comments and real life experience. I definitely would prefer the OLED, however, was worried about the size. As per all of the "tv science" and calculators, it felt I'm at the border line of 77" being too small for about 8.5 feet distance. So I was thinking to go into QLED just for the size reason.
After reading your real life experience I think I should be happy with OLED 77". After all, if absolutely necessary I can move my sofa by a foot or so :).
Again, thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most here in the OLED area (including me) will tell you OLED all the way. Of course, you will get a different answer in the LCD area. :)
Seriously, I always go with picture quality, thus OLED, for the superior blacks, contrast, and side angle viewing. But OLED loses some of its advantages if your viewing room is bright and you can't control the ambient light. For watching/streaming movies in a dark room, LED just doesn't compare to OLED. I guess the 83" Sony A90J is out of your price range?
Thank for your comments and suggestions. After reading many reviews I think I'm leaning towards the 77" OLED. In a worse case scenario I will move the sofa closer to the TV, but somehow I'm thinking I'll be fine with it as is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Prices for the LG OLED C1 series have gone down a little since they were released. The lowest prices are at Costco. Costco includes an extended warranty at no extra cost. And their return policy is basically no questions asked.

Reactions: The Salty One

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Sony 77A80J. My dealer gave me a price I could not refuse. Going to replace the A8G above my fireplace and I am going to move that one into the bedroom. Wife will be so happy!....not ;). My overall decision was that I preferred Sony's motion handeling and color accuracy vs the gaming features on the LG C1. Sony will hopefully upgrade their 2 HDMI 2.1 ports by years end.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I brought the LG 77 almost 2 year's ago and it's been great. I hated the price tag when they first came out. But the viewings is awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts