AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade the speakers for my living room home theater. I have a 100watt per channel receiver. I am planning to keep my subwoofers for now due to budget. My room is 12X15 and the sofa is against the back wall. There is only one side wall to the sofa, the other side is a dining room, so the surrounds would be mounted on the back wall.

After checking the forum, this is what I have come up with for choices:

Axiom Audio: Front M3ti, Center VP100, Surrounds, QS4: $805

I am leaning towards this as the side firing surrounds lend themselves to the sofa and the speakers being against the back wall.

Ascend: Front SCM-170, Center CMT-340C, Surrounds HTM200: $808

Aperion: Front and surrounds 522D-LR, Center 522D-C: $900.

Am I on the right track? Anyone have any opinions on which of these 3 may stand out? Any other brands/combinations come to mind?

Thanks for the help!

Walt

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I used to have that same exact Ascend setup. The CBM-170's, to me were much nicer than the Aperions. Bigger sounding and more refined.

I am not familiar with the M3Ti, I am though with the M22. The M22 and the CBM-170 would be a toss up, depending on what kind of sound you are looking for. You might want to head over to www.axiomaudio.com/boards for customer opinions on the sound of the M3Ti.

You can also ask about Ascend speakers at www.ascendforum.com for questions on Ascends.

All three companies were great to work with.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello Surfaday,

You might be interested in this thread over at AV123. Staino does not have the exact same setup you are looking at, but in the very least you may be able to get a demo to see if the Ascends are to your liking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip! Staino lives in Hawaii too and is selling a set of Ascends! Ain't the interenet great?

Walt

·
Registered
483 Posts
Order some of each and give them a listen. It's really up to your ears. I've heard good things about all of them, and they all offer a 30 day trial.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've just ordered Axiom M22 and VP150, wanted Ascend but they don't take Amex since I maxed out my Visa and MC on other HT items (Toshiba 65", H K 525, the huge entertainment center and the high cost connecting CABLES).

This hobby is draining me dry and I can't stop, but worth it!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
IMO you still have a lot of auditioning to do. You only listened to some of the A's (Aperion, Ascend, Axion) and you have a long way to go to get to Vienna, Wilson, Xantech, Yamaha and Zenith.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes, were that auditioning brands from A to Z possible! I noticed that as I was doing my shopping - all A's.

I had the opportunity to audition the Ascends mentioned on AV123 yesterday - very impressive! And that guy wants to UPGRADE! I have a long way to go.

And I just got a reply back from Axiom - their free shipping does extend to Hawaii. Now that is a selling point!

Walt

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Free shipping to Hawaii.....great stuff!

If you get a chance to compare the M3ti and the CBM-170, I would love to know your impressions.

Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.