AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be purchasing a new Sammy HLR5067W this week. When looking at it the other night, the sales guy told us we needed the Monster Cable DVI-HDMI adapter cable to hook it up to our Time Warner HD cable box. According to him, there is some sort of patent or other problem with the Sammy and that only the Monster Cable would fix. It sounded a little odd to me, but I knew the internet would solve the problem.

I'm curious as to what I should also ad to my cart to enjoy my purchase. Here is my current equipment:

DVD- Sony DVP-NS755V

Receiver - Sony STR-DE935

Cable Box - Whatever HDTV/DVR box Time Warner gives me

Now, I just need to know what cables and other stuff I should get to maximize the experience. Do I really the 800 series Monster Cable or can I get away with something else? My component cables are AR. I only have one set, and I was planning on them for the DVD player.

The receiver is over six years old, so I won't be switching any video ignals through it. I'll get a new receiver one of these days, but this one will have to do for now.

·
Registered
15,825 Posts
AR is fine, as are the cables from the sponsors with links above (RAM, BetterCables, etc). Monsters are good cables, but are no better than the others and are way overpriced. What we need is a button to push that gives salespeople who lie a little electric shock!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The whole patent thing did sound like crap to me, but I didn't really have any facts to back it up. It looks like I will be just fine with some AR cables. Maybe I'll shoot an order off to RAM for a cable. What is shipping time for them usually?

*Edit: I just realized I need audio cables too. Being that my receiver is old, it only has one coaxial audio input and a bunch of optical inputs. Hello two cables and an adapter. This TV is getting expensive... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thatnks to this forum, I've made a $140 donation to the sales numbers for RAM. I have a nice selection of cables and a digital coax to optical coax converter on the way.

Now, I start reading about surge suppressors and line conditioners. You guys are killing me. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.