AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time find short lenghts of RG 6 cable with connectors. I need:

4x3ft with messenger ground wire

4x12ft

1x25ft

to do a balcony installation. Any one have any ideas where I can order?

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Chris,

Could be I am missing this completely but are you not just buying a piece of wire and putting F connectors on it? Do yhou want to buy these lengths already terminated? Art

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think the risk of a connection going bad when crimped with pliers or a cheap crimping tool isn't worth the money saved. Either buy a decent (ratchet style) crimper or use the screw-on connectors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone,

Yup I don't want to screw this up either! I'll keep it simple, even if it may cost a few more $.

Chris

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Chris,

Try Radio Shack. Look for their outdoor type "F" connectors for the kind of Rg6 you are using. I use the quad shielded sort and one needs to make sure that the connectors are for the quad shielded. The only real trick is to buy a cable "peeler" that works well. Buy a good one and use it carefully. A good crimper for $20 or $30 is a good purchase also. Believe me you will use it again when you decide yu can't live without Dss in some other location. The connections are very easy. Make sure you have actually tested the length you need. Nearly everyone underestimates the length of cable necessary. Art

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Art,

Yes "already terminated" would be the correct way to describe it! Is it easy to attach the F connectors yourself?

Sorry if I sound ignorant this is my first attempt!

Chris

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Intraview:
Thanks Art,

Yes "already terminated" would be the correct way to describe it! Is it easy to attach the F connectors yourself?
It is not too hard. Ideally, you use a crimper designed for the task. But often you don't want to buy a $30 tool for a single job. An ordinary pliers works OK. You'll probably mutilate a few at first until you get the hang of it, but it is no big deal.

Another way of doing it is to buy these "screw-on" F connectors where you fold the braid back onto the cable and then screw these F-connectors on. However, since it looks like you have a large number of cables needed. You should go with the crimp method since the screw-on connectors are much more expensive than the ordinary crimp connectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.