AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·





Well, this leaked photo of a FYE ad that's going out any day now pretty much confirms that the PS3 is dropping $100 this week. With an 80 gig PS3 for $299, how do you think the new Elite is going to compare to that?


Personally, I think MS needs a "real" pricedrop to battle that, rather than a sku shuffling. 120 gig hard drives are fine and dandy, but I think anybody in their right mind would choose Blu Ray over 40 extra gigs of hard drive space. Of course, there are other factors to consider as well, like built in Wi-Fi, etc, etc. Certainly, Microsoft can simply do this Sku shuffling for now, and then take a wait and see approach, and see if the value proposition of the PS3 starts to kill them in the NPD's. If not, maybe they can hang tight as is, and just keep on keepin on... But if Sony starts to pick up some ridiculous steam over this $100 pricedrop, I think MS will have to react in a more proactive way. I especially think the Arcade sku will have to lower to at least $179.99. Reason being, at $199, you can pay $100 extra, and get a 80 gig HDD, Blu Ray compatibility, built in wi-fi, etc. Seems like buying an Arcade just to save $100 wouldn't make a whole lotta sense for somebody just about to jump into the world of HD console gaming. $179.99 isn't that much better, it's only an extra $20 saved, but I think from a psychological standpoint, it gives the Arcade enough distance from the $299 PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
As I said it before.. this late in the console "race" people buy consoles based of word of mouth. People are gonna get what most of their friends have, what most of their friends are playing. Those that really cared about Bluray, Wifi, 80gigs, and all the other shyt would have jumped at $399. A $100 isnt that much of change.. it still makes the PS3 the most expensive option. And for those truly concerned about pricing, but dont care about all of the above "extras" included in the PS3.. the other consoles are still cheaper.


That said MS has always been ahead of the game this generation with its pricing. They have always offered the best bang for the buck console. Expect them to counter with more features or pricing as the holiday season approaches.


The biggest question for me.. is will the Wii drop its price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Hmm... the problem with making any kind of educated statement about this is that it almost (if not) requires us to know how many Arcade units are sold VS Pro/Elite.


The PS3 is around 100K a month less than the 360 in the US. If most of them are the HDD equiped units then MS woudl really need to be below the PS3 to maintain their lead as some consumers will opt for a PS3 for the same price instead. But if the majority are buying the arcade then they could maintain their lead without a drop.


At this point I think the 360 should be less than $299. Its been four years, IMHO it should be $249.99 for a unit with a HDD, if not $199. But I am sure MS will not be dropping there until AFTER they see how a $299 PS3 sells longer term (We can expect the customary sales boost all systems get when they drop)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 360 price drop coinciding with the release of Halo ODST as the game seems to have slowly morphed from an expansion to a standalone product, at least in terms of pricing and promotion.


As to the PS3 potentially being more attractive due to its BluRay drive, at this point dedicated BluRay players are so cheap that I don't think that capability factors into the equation as much as it used to. I still think that the average consumer continues to view these devices as primarily games machines and when viewed in that perspective, the 360 is still the better bargain. I own all three consoles BTW so I hope that I'm not being biased in that sentiment.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
802 Posts
Get back to us after the PS3 has more than five games worth playing. Seriously, price should represent value, and besides BluRay, where is it in terms of game selection? We are discussing game consoles.


There are members here that "complain" about having all these great new releases coming down the pike, all while they still have 4-5 titles in shrink wrap on the shelf, because they're getting fantastic replay value from their existing titles in rotation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts
The PS3 is also doing "sku shuffling" just like they did in the past. The 80GB console is being discontinued so once it sell out for $299 you will be left with a $399 160GB console. The PS3 Slim may take over the $299 spot, but that is unknown at this time (I'd guess $349).


Edit: Looks like the Slim will sell for $299 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000P?adCell=W2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/17017860


[ but I think anybody in their right mind would choose Blu Ray over 40 extra gigs of hard drive space.

You're entitled to your opinion but psychologists call that "projection".

Hint: your values are not *our* values, don't assume otherwise.

Plus, the market has shown that not to be the case, never mind the technical trade offs.


Methinks this post belongs in a different forum, lad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,131 Posts
it's too late for PS3 to take any kind of lead. Blu-ray players are now at an affordable 150 dollar range(I bought one last month). One annoying thing is that MS took out the split HD cable for the new elite SKUs now you just get cheap composite cables and no HDMI cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/17018896


it's too late for PS3 to take any kind of lead. Blu-ray players are now at an affordable 150 dollar range(I bought one last month). One annoying thing is that MS took out the split HD cable for the new elite SKUs now you just get cheap composite cables and no HDMI cable.

Do you mean that they don't even include the component cables that were part of the Pro? My Pro has the component/composite cable bundle with optical out on the dongle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjibberjabber /forum/post/17018400


Get back to us after the PS3 has more than five games worth playing. Seriously, price should represent value, and besides BluRay, where is it in terms of game selection? We are discussing game consoles.


There are members here that "complain" about having all these great new releases coming down the pike, all while they still have 4-5 titles in shrink wrap on the shelf, because they're getting fantastic replay value from their existing titles in rotation.

Are you guys really still trying to peddle this trash? Every realistic adult realizes that both systems have a fairly equal amount of AAA titles. A bunch of shared ones and a few exclusives on each side. You guys already proved with your "We don't care about Japan" thread that a good percentage of Xbox fanboys are actually racist against the Japanese. Congrats, you bought the system made by Americans
. I guess that balances out the Japanophiles who bought the PS3 cause it was made in Japan. Funny cause all the JRPGs so far came out on the 360. I for 1 couldn't live without Bioshock, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chonicles, Demon's Souls, or Metal Gear Solid 4. Systems are basically equal, 360 won on price and early release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/17018974


Do you mean that they don't even include the component cables that were part of the Pro? My Pro has the component/composite cable bundle with optical out on the dongle.

yep the component cables are only going to be available separate from the consoles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
If they took out that cable.. they could atleast throw in a 3 foot HDMI cable. I mean that has to cost them what.. less than a $1 wholesale??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
I have to go with what Daekwan said. I completly agree.


Also once 360 hits facebook its going to blow up. I mean can you imgaine logging on to facebook and seeing 35 messeages about what a whole bunch of your "friends" are doing on 360 and how great it is. And don't forget Microsoft owns part of facebook so facebook on PS3 is unlikely.


Also I think people that want a Blu-Ray player will already have one or be picking up one the $!1**-$2** ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpggamer /forum/post/17019148


You guys already proved with your "We don't care about Japan" thread that a good percentage of Xbox fanboys are actually racist against the Japanese. Congrats, you bought the system made by Americans
.

The thread was entitled Do we XBoxers care about Japan? . And the discussion was about the contemporary appeal of Japanese designed games. Japan's game industry has a long history and a distinct style. I think discussing it in general terms is reasonable. Additionally, it wasn't a Japan v. America thread. Games are produced all over the world.


Your statement implies every participant in the thread was an Xbox fanboy and believed themselves to be genetically superior to Japanese people. Could you explain why you believe this?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax /forum/post/17019372


The thread was entitled Do we XBoxers care about Japan? . And the discussion was about the contemporary appeal of Japanese designed games. Japan's game industry has a long history and a distinct style. I think discussing it in general terms is reasonable. Additionally, it wasn't a Japan v. America thread. Games are produced all over the world.


Your statement implies every participant in the thread was an Xbox fanboy and believed themselves to be genetically superior to Japanese people. Could you explain why you believe this?

Bragging gleefully that crappy games outsell most jrpgs. Calling one of the top selling francises of all time (MGS) bizarre. I'm fairly certain that comment came from cultural differences that the poster didn't want to understand (Obviously his culture was superior and another person's wasn't worth understanding). Another person said they "controlled the western and european markets for way too long" and now "the tables have turned and the majority of games i buy are western and/or european in flavor". Yeah, getting excited about the games you buy based on the shape of the developer's eyes is real mature.


"(THATS ENOUGH JAPAN! THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!!)."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpggamer /forum/post/17019465


Bragging gleefully that crappy games outsell most jrpgs. Calling one of the top selling francises of all time (MGS) bizarre. I'm fairly certain that comment came from cultural differences that the poster didn't want to understand (Obviously his culture was superior and another person's wasn't worth understanding). Another person said they "controlled the western and european markets for way too long" and now "the tables have turned and the majority of games i buy are western and/or european in flavor". Yeah, getting excited about the games you buy based on the shape of the developer's eyes is real mature.


"(THATS ENOUGH JAPAN! THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!!)."

never read the thread but MGS does indeed have some "unique" story aspects. none of them offend or should really freak people out but they do seem, quite out of place in the some of the games. As for western developers being better or not it's very relative. truth is though that guys lie Kojima and Itagaki have both publicly stated that they think the Japanese developer roster is failing and indeed not as talented as "western" developers. This OT for this thread though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/17019226


I have to go with what Daekwan said. I completly agree.


Also once 360 hits facebook its going to blow up. I mean can you imgaine logging on to facebook and seeing 35 messeages about what a whole bunch of your "friends" are doing on 360 and how great it is. And don't forget Microsoft owns part of facebook so facebook on PS3 is unlikely.


Also I think people that want a Blu-Ray player will already have one or be picking up one the $!1**-$2** ones.

Someone pointed out earlier.. this far into a generation people already know what they want. They've already played console X, Y and/or Z over their friends house. They already know X is the one their friends play, talk about and get excited about. And because of this, they know X is the one they want to get one day.. But for whatever reason, they simply dont have the $$$ or motivation to jump off the fence right now.


The average consumer isnt just walking into a store.. 3-4 years into this generation and saying "OMG" this has Bluray.. I've never seen a game system with Bluray. This late in the game, a price cut only motivates people to buy what they were always thinking about buying anways. They just end up buying it sooner than they expected because of the extra incentives. Rather those incentives be added features and/or a price cut.



The Facebook shyt will be huge. I have 600 friends on Facebook and people are really into status updates. Just imagine during the NFL season alone, people check your status and see "He is playing Madden'10 on Xbox360". Its gonna be pretty hard to resist jumping into that game if you already have a 360 + Madden.


And if you dont.. its going to be very tempting to get one when you see 30 other people on your friends list playing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpggamer /forum/post/17019465


Bragging gleefully that crappy games outsell most jrpgs. Calling one of the top selling francises of all time (MGS) bizarre. I'm fairly certain that comment came from cultural differences that the poster didn't want to understand (Obviously his culture was superior and another person's wasn't worth understanding). Another person said they "controlled the western and european markets for way too long" and now "the tables have turned and the majority of games i buy are western and/or european in flavor". Yeah, getting excited about the games you buy based on the shape of the developer's eyes is real mature.


"(THATS ENOUGH JAPAN! THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!!)."

now that is what I call funny.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,712 Posts
i take full credit for the "theres something wrong with you Japan" comment from the other thread. i stand 100% behind it. if those rape games are part of any culture i think there is something fundamentally wrong with them. its not about being genetically superior, its about morals.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,712 Posts
back on topic. it is a price drop. the elite will be $299. even though the xbox doesnt support blu-ray, the advantage is having the bigger game catalog. you can get the majority of ps3 games on the 360 (of course excemptions being the sony developed stuff), 400+ arcade titles, close to 500+ and growing indie games, netflix support, huge video library for rental/sales, media streaming, plus the coming facebook, twitter, last fm support.

it'd take a fool to not recommend the 360 at that price point.
 
1 - 20 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top