AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have ordered Blackout Cloth to make a 125" screen, but the surface of BOC is a little gray instead of white.


I was wondering if we need to paint the surface to get a brighter image.



Thanks for any advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1525012/should-blackout-cloth-be-painted#post_24550356


Yes.....of that there is no question or doubt.


You need to supply detailed information about your plans, room, & Equipment to determine exactly what would be best.


The screen is 125" diagonal. Projector is Optoma HD66.


HTPC connected to pojector via HDMI at 720p @60Hz.


Seat distance to projector screen: approx. 16 ft.


Is it worth it to paint the screen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1525012/should-blackout-cloth-be-painted#post_24641355

I redress my answer:


Yes.....of that there is no question or doubt.

What will be improved by painting the surface?


Did you have a chance to compare BOC with and without paint?
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbest  /t/1525012/should-blackout-cloth-be-painted#post_24643408


What will be improved by painting the surface?


Did you have a chance to compare BOC with and without paint?


A great many times. BOC's only attribute is that it slightly attenuates light it receives, resulting in a very slight increase in blacks, and usually can avoid any trace of hot spotting.


Apply a painted coating to BOC or any applicable substrate and you can pretty much tailor it to become whatever you need. More Gain...significantly better blacks...a sharper, more detailed and or contrasty image....more vibrant colors. And combination of those...and in some special instances, all of that.


All that said, many can and do get by quite well with the level of satisfaction BOC mated with a great PJ can provide. But as the performance level of various PJs can and do vary widely, so then will the end results raw BOC or any basic Matte white surface will provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Apply a painted coating to BOC or any applicable substrate and you can pretty much tailor it to become whatever you need. More Gain...significantly better blacks...a sharper, more detailed and or contrasty image....more vibrant colors. And combination of those...and in some special instances, all of that.

What kind of paint can I use for it?
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,582 Posts
Will your Room be light controlled?


If so, the least expensive and easiest to work with advanced Screen paint is RS-MaxxMudd LL. It can be rolled or sprayed. For coating BOC I would advise spraying.


For the most impressive results, Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 It is however a "Spray on Only" application.


Now on the simple side, any good Matte White Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel will provide a "brighter" image.


But...any simple Gray will have you right back to the same point, or be even less bright than the original BOC.


Choose wisely....or take someone's suggestion to breast and run with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1525012/should-blackout-cloth-be-painted#post_24645526


Will your Room be light controlled?


If so, the least expensive and easiest to work with advanced Screen paint is RS-MaxxMudd LL. It can be rolled or sprayed. For coating BOC I would advise spraying.


For the most impressive results, Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 It is however a "Spray on Only" application.


Now on the simple side, any good Matte White Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel will provide a "brighter" image.


But...any simple Gray will have you right back to the same point, or be even less bright than the original BOC.


Choose wisely....or take someone's suggestion to breast and run with it.

I saw some pics here with painted BOC. It looks very nice, brighter image and better color...



How much are these paint and how much paint do I need for 125" screen?


Yes, room is actually totally darkened for best image.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top