AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a CS10 Polk center which I really like. I have been slowly been replacing my 10yr old speakers and now its the front speakers turn.

Am I supposed to get the TSI speakers? Ideallly I'd like the 500's (big room about 17X22ft), but my budget only allows for the TSI-400.

Am I constrained by using polk audio by selecting the CS-10?

Thanks for your help and yes I'm not a true audioholic!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Texan /forum/post/20871364

Hi,

I have a CS10 Polk center which I really like. I have been slowly been replacing my 10yr old speakers and now its the front speakers turn.

Am I supposed to get the TSI speakers? Ideallly I'd like the 500's (big room about 17X22ft), but my budget only allows for the TSI-400.

Am I constrained by using polk audio by selecting the CS-10?

Thanks for your help and yes I'm not a true audioholic!

In a perfect world, at the very least the front 3 speakers (LCR) should be of the same make and model but that is not always possible. The problem you may run into is timbre mathcing, all three speakers having the same sonic characteristics. Chances are if you go with a speaker that has a soft dome tweeter like the Polk it may not sound too bad, especially if you have a receiver that has some kind of auto calibration. But if you were to mix a speaker that has say a aluminum tweeter or a horn loeaded tweeter, sonically the sounds are very different and panning between the front speakers may sound a little off. Some people don't mind or don't notice it, and some people do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro /forum/post/20871398

The problem you may run into is timbre mathcing, all three speakers having the same sonic characteristics. Chances are if you go with a speaker that has a soft dome tweeter like the Polk it may not sound too bad, especially if you have a receiver that has some kind of auto calibration. But if you were to mix a speaker that has say a aluminum tweeter or a horn loeaded tweeter, sonically the sounds are very different and panning between the front speakers may sound a little off. Some people don't mind or don't notice it, and some people do.

the above potential problem I am assuming is if I were to go different brands? or all Polk?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
TSI 400s are perfect for the CS10. Technically the CS20 is the center that goes with the TSI 500s because it has the same size woofers (6.5"). The CS10 and the 400s also have the same size woofers (5.25"). Go for it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'm going to take the plunge.. however given the huge size of my room, I am leaning more towards the TSi500's.. I know that the CS20 would be a better fit (kicking myself in the head for not getting it), but would they work good with my CS10?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.