AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a floor model of a Samsung LN46A550. I know its been powered on for many months for about 12 hours a day (probably on high contrast settings). Is there anything i should know before buying it? Even if it was on for 1 year straight at 12 hours a day, thats only 4000 hours, and these tvs last 100,000. Do LCD tvs PQ start to go down with use, or is it a matter of it either works or doesn't?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15501147

I'd be worry about buying a floor model even with the original warranty. Save a little more and get a brand new one.

Why? What is the difference if you get the 1 year manufacturers warranty, and they still offer you an extended warranty?

I have yet to ever read a good explanation as to why someone whould avoid a floor model. I could see if the set was an "as is" purchase, but that is hardly ever the case.

Quite the contrary. If the panel has been on for a full year, and you still get the one year, then in my eyes, that is a 2 year warranty. Not to mention, once again, if you get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't see why not either. You even get to check the panel for defects before buying. Plasma is a different story of course. I'd never take a floor model plasma.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15493593

I am considering buying a floor model of a Samsung LN46A550. I know its been powered on for many months for about 12 hours a day (probably on high contrast settings). Is there anything i should know before buying it? Even if it was on for 1 year straight at 12 hours a day, thats only 4000 hours, and these tvs last 100,000. Do LCD tvs PQ start to go down with use, or is it a matter of it either works or doesn't?

As long as it still has a warranty, is cosmetially sound, functions properly with no dead pixels or other concerns and priced very well, I see no problem getting a floor model. I would want a 30 day return policy and I would seriously look at getting an extended warranty. Often times this can be negotiated off the price as stores want to move floor models fairly quick.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Most electronics fail early in their life. A store display has proven to work and not fail. Any pixel defects will be visible.

·
Banned
739 Posts
It's like buying a used car from a Rental place. Do you trust anyone who's been driving that car before you? I know several friends who have bought floor models only to regret it later. And I know personally that I can get any new TV cheaper than any floor model. Just my opinion. Best of luck!

BLT

·
Registered
231 Posts
i generally, with the exception of my current plasma, have bought floor models, for a couple of reasons. You know it works. It can't have been on more than a few thousand hours. It has probably made it out of the infant mortality stage of its life without a problem. It is cheaper and you can usually get more warranty thrown in by haggling. Plasma, no way, but CRT and LCD i see no reason not to buy a floor model if its comsetically good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts