AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I want to know what are advantages of having floor standing speakers in the front as oppose to bookshelfs?

I been looking to upgrade my system. I have Sony SFS 6000 4-Way. I been thinking about getting RTi8 or 10s, but can I ge away with like RTi 4 or 6 in the fronts? My Sub is Klipsch Sub-12. My room is about 16X16.

Thanks for your help as always!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Its what you the end user prefer some of us like the extra midbass that most floorstanders offer especially if your into music.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats what i been thinking.. just playing around with the idea so don't have to spend money on RTi8 or 10.. Music is important to me!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
In answer to the title of your post...............NO !

In a home theater situation, as an example, it is ideal to have the exact same speakers across the front sound stage. Most would have a very difficult time using a center that is a floor stander. The best that they can do is to get them to timbre match as closely as possible. But with smaller speakers, you CAN have three identical speakers across the front, such as I have with my M&K's.

This hobby is all a matter of compromise, for my speakers work very well near-field, but will not work as well as some of the better floor-standers from a distance.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Monitors can sometimes disappear into the room better. I have a very small room and monitors sound better than floorstanders in my room.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you have a small room, there may not be enough space to properly locate a floorstanding speaker and you end up with exaggerated bass.

You get more placement flexibility with a standmounted speaker.

The one inherent advantage of a floorstanding speaker is not needing a stand.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Just as the guys are saying, there are plenty of examples where a bookshelf would work better. There are 7" drivers these days that can go flat down to 42hz, and in room down to low 30's. 7" drivers that have 12mm of linear x-max ... that kind of technology simply didn't exist 10 years ago, and has adjusted a lot of the paradigms of old. That and that monitors just have much less reflective surface, meaning they 'can' image better in general. Smaller cabinets in general are stiffer cabinets, so the change of enclosure coloration is lower with monitors.

Just presenting one side, but there are plenty of reasons to consider monitors for just about any application.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You forgot to mention that between towers and standmounts at the same price point, the latter will usually be using better components since less of the cost is put into cabinets.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14265463

You forgot to mention that between towers and standmounts at the same price point, the latter will usually be using better components since less of the cost is put into cabinets.

Stands are not exactly cheap either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts