AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed five 3 1/2 inch hard drives in a case. There are 4 180 GB and 1 250 GB. There is maybe 1/8 of an inch between them. The system has 4 fans in it.

I opened the case and touched the drives after the system had been on for about an hour. The drives are pretty hot, you can hold a finger on them without burning, but I say if they got any hotter, you would be uncomfortable touch them for an extended period.

Anybody think this is a problem?

What temperatures are these big drives designed to run at?

TIA

Josh

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hard drives do get hot and you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
how many fans are pointed at the hard drives?

yes, they run hot, but that many drives in close proximity would have me worried unless they have some kind of air flow around them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fans are pointed directly at them. I did drill some 1/8 inch holes in the case in front of the drives to try and get some airflow to come through the drive cage. The fans are on the rear of the case blowing air out of the case. I guess I could add some intake fans to the front of the case to push more air into the drive cage, but this would necessitate leaving the front cover of the case off which is where the on off switch, reset button and led's are mounted.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am running 2 serial ATA drives in RAID, when I first set it up, I had the drives right together and they got really hot! So much that I lost my RAID array and was not able to access the drives at all. I separated them by about an inch and that solved it. I had to recreate the RAID array and reformat, but the drives were not hurt at all.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I thought an IDE controller could only accomodate 4 Hard Drives. (My ignorance is showing). How does one install more than 4 Hard drives and/or DVD players/burners, etc?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using a 3ware 7500-12 card that gives me 12 ata ports. I'm running as JBOD right now, no RAID. I might do that in the future, but the data is Ripped DVD's which is readily recreatable.

I also have a floppy, OS hdd, and DVD ROM that are hanging off the motherboard ATA ports.

I plan on installing more drives as needed. So as it stands, I could have up to (12) >= 180GB, a floppy, an OS hdd and a DVD ROM in my system.

Does anyone know of a case that is designed to hold this many disks and cool it all?

TIA

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Diver - you can add a PCI ATA card to add two more IDE channels (4 more drives). Most of these cards now come bundled with hard drives.

re: fans. Don't point the fan at the hard drives, else you will be blowing dust at them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
IMO, electronical components should stay as cool as possible. I have 6 IDE drives in my media server and I have an Antec Performance case ( unsure of the model number right now ) with built in fans for the bank of drives. They are pretty close together and stay relatively cool.

·
Registered
766 Posts
How much power does a Hard Drive use? At what point should a person consider increasing the power supply above 350 Watts?

Is there any advantage to partitioning a large (200 GB) HD into smaller partitions?

·
Registered
571 Posts
dandrewk: dust shouldn't matter for hard drives, they are entirely sealed. that's why there's a sticker that informs you that you'll void the warranty if you take it apart; the inside of a hard drive is hermetically sealed, because any dust would cause failure. If you care, you can also put a filter in front of the fan, but make sure to change it as it gets clogged, because a clogged filter means you might as well not have the fans there in the first place.

I have four 120's with two fans pointed at them that close, and that's what keeps them from overheating. I'm using a lian-li 60 pc case.

I have a 350 watt power supply for those drives, another 40gb that's not part of the RAID, two processors, and a bunch of pci cards, and it's fine right now.

I would break up a hard drive into smaller partitions if you forsee yourself needing to take frequent images of a drive. For instance, you might want to have your OS on one 4.7gb partition, so that it can be readily backed up to a dvd. I haven't done this in a while. The other reason to have small-ish partitions (like 10 gb for system, etc) is that scan disk and the like will finish more quickly. I have had ntfs get really screwed over, and having a small drive to scan through is a Good Thing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TracerBullet
dandrewk: dust shouldn't matter for hard drives, they are entirely sealed. that's why there's a sticker that informs you that you'll void the warranty if you take it apart; the inside of a hard drive is hermetically sealed, because any dust would cause failure. If you care, you can also put a filter in front of the fan, but make sure to change it as it gets clogged, because a clogged filter means you might as well not have the fans there in the first place.
HD are not hermetically sealed. In fact, all HD have a breather hole to allow for pressure changes. If you where to block the breather hole and went from sea level to, say, Denver, you would have major problems with the heads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.