AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went away for three days and when I come back my UTV is off. Well I never turn it off so I assumed there was a power outage, however no clocks were reset or anything.

I turned on my UTV to see it wants to dial out. I unplug and wait and all is well. I start watching a recording and it occassionally blacks out and eventually turns itself off. Then back to the dial out screen. I figured what the hell plug in a phone cord and see what it wants. When it dialed out it complained that I should contact a tech as there was a problem and it couldn't be fixed. I unplugged and waited and it was working fine again. Except I heard a nice load clicking noise... So I immediately pull up the old help and instructions on replacing the hard drive (I am still using the original).

If I had known how easy it was (and now 3x the capacity) I would have done this years ago. I happened to have a 160Gig Seagate sitting in an old machine not being used. I reformatted checked for errors and pulled it out. Changed the dip switch to master from cable select and removed the old UTV and put this one in. Well my original attempt to download got stuck at 70 (I guess the long cord plugged into a answering machine chained into the outlet was a bad idea). After moving things around it downloaded in one attempt and came up fine.

All in all about 10 minutes of work and 5 hours of standing around waiting for downloads formatting and error checking. Hopefully this will squeeze another year or two out of it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Congrats on the 3.425 x capacity (137GB used of 160GB).

Glad you got it done before IDE Drives became/become a relic of the past. Someday soon you must pass on your knowledge of the "jumper" and it's mystical powers to another... Before the knowledge is lost to the ages.

With that said, I've got several 40 and 80GB units still in service. Along with a couple 120GB drives. Should find the time to dump my UTV recordings (some are over 6 years old) before I too am victim to a "phone home" and must upgrade the drive...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts