AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a home theater room that will be 11'x23'. It will be a 7.1 configuration with Klipsch RF-62 ii fronts, a Klipsch RC-62 ii center, 4 Klipsch SB-3 surrounds, and a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer. My receiver is a Sony STR-DN1040.

I've done a lot of research into how sound works, as it were, and in all my aural adventures I've never found a budget receiver to be lacking when it came to delivering enjoyable music and surround sound effects. Then again I've never lived in anything other than an apartment so cranking it up has never been an option. I intend to crank my theater to 11.

As such, is my receiver (which isn't a budget receiver by any stretch, but is at best mid-range when it comes to high-end gear) enough to fill that space with sound or should I be looking to add an amp to my setup? I am a complete newbie when it comes to amps, and I feel a little overwhelmed in my research, so I'd love a little direction as to how an amp integrates in a home theater.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
That might depend on what 11 translates to. Doesn't appear the 1040 has preouts so you can't add an amp. If you do decide the avr doesn't cut it in your new room then worry about shopping for a new avr and one with preouts if you want external amps (or just buy a processor/pre-amp)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I am building a home theater room that will be 11'x23'. It will be a 7.1 configuration with Klipsch RF-62 ii fronts, a Klipsch RC-62 ii center, 4 Klipsch SB-3 surrounds, and a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer. My receiver is a Sony STR-DN1040.

I've done a lot of research into how sound works, as it were, and in all my aural adventures I've never found a budget receiver to be lacking when it came to delivering enjoyable music and surround sound effects. Then again I've never lived in anything other than an apartment so cranking it up has never been an option. I intend to crank my theater to 11.

As such, is my receiver (which isn't a budget receiver by any stretch, but is at best mid-range when it comes to high-end gear) enough to fill that space with sound or should I be looking to add an amp to my setup? I am a complete newbie when it comes to amps, and I feel a little overwhelmed in my research, so I'd love a little direction as to how an amp integrates in a home theater.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-dn1040-av-receiver-test-bench

I think your receiver will have no problems at all pushing the Klipsch's. I would set it up and push the system, but Klipsch are very easy to drive and your sony puts out a respectful 65-82 per channel. An external amp would be a preference not a necessity as far as I see

Reactions: philmike21

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-dn1040-av-receiver-test-bench

I think your receiver will have no problems at all pushing the Klipsch's. I would set it up and push the system, but Klipsch are very easy to drive and your sony puts out a respectful 65-82 per channel. An external amp would be a preference not a necessity as far as I see
See I look at that chart of numbers and that graph and I think "well, 135 W is significantly more than I'd ever listen to anything at and 1% distortion at that volume is pretty reasonable" but then I see the 7 channel numbers and think "Well I want my movies to sound crisp, so 65 W doesn't seem like it'll be loud enough to fill the space." But I don't really have any point of reference. I don't know what sort of wattage will lead to loud enough surround sound, nor what level of distortion I can ignore.

I sort of have 110W in my mind for whatever reason as a good level to hope for, and clearly the DN1040 alone cannot achieve this even in 5 channel let alone 7. I don't want to be left wanting is all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
See I look at that chart of numbers and that graph and I think "well, 135 W is significantly more than I'd ever listen to anything at and 1% distortion at that volume is pretty reasonable" but then I see the 7 channel numbers and think "Well I want my movies to sound crisp, so 65 W doesn't seem like it'll be loud enough to fill the space." But I don't really have any point of reference. I don't know what sort of wattage will lead to loud enough surround sound, nor what level of distortion I can ignore.

I sort of have 110W in my mind for whatever reason as a good level to hope for, and clearly the DN1040 alone cannot achieve this even in 5 channel let alone 7. I don't want to be left wanting is all.
Do you know how loud 110 watts is? Ear bleed loud is how loud it is. I have a Carver 225 watts by 3 and if I go to 60 to 80 watts, its incredibly loud. And that's a real 60 to 80 watts. 65 watts is fine if its a real 65 watts, you would be surprised how loud it is. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know how loud 110 watts is? Ear bleed loud is how loud it is. I have a Carver 225 watts by 3 and if I go to 60 to 80 watts, its incredibly loud. And that's a real 60 to 80 watts. 65 watts is fine if its a real 65 watts, you would be surprised how loud it is. :)

But in all seriousness, that is my point. I don't have a reference. I guess I should just wait to hook everything up and decide from there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea lol.
The only reason I asked in the first place is I'm trying to budget everything out and if I needed to add an amplifier I might have to scale something else back. But screw it, I'll just get the pieces I know I want and if I need more later, I'll get more later.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The only reason I asked in the first place is I'm trying to budget everything out and if I needed to add an amplifier I might have to scale something else back. But screw it, I'll just get the pieces I know I want and if I need more later, I'll get more later.
You can find decent deals on used amps on audiogon. Thats where i bought my 3 channel Carver which has the lil meters on the front of it. Got that old school look which is pretty cool looking lol. :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If it's not in your budget already, I would suggest earmarking some of your funds towards a better sub :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you stay with easy to drive klipsch speakers or similar there will be no need for an amp or a more powerful receiver.

My AVR benched at 37w at 5 ch, and 27w at 7 ch(kind of poor as they advertise 150wpc lol), I can drive klipsch rf-82's and a rc-64 to ear bleeding levels with that wattage and it's clear, just for a reference

Reactions: philmike21

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts