AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I have a the Sentinels 15's almost complete and now I'm back on the rest of the speakers. I was leaning towards the Volt 10 lx but now thinking the 88 specials. The main reason is trying to get close to the same sensitivity. I'm trying to get an understanding on this. If most amps put out equal power to every channel, shouldn't we try to match the sensitivity of all speakers? I also read somewhere that the reference 5.1 system had 5 matching speakers. This isn't practical in my room and I'll be running 7.1 but feel I should at least get matching SEOS. My room is narrow at current time, 20 long by 11 wide but this will be widening in future.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Enter you listening distances and power.. If it's an AVR feeding the power be aware when the action starts it'll usually be no where near what the claim. Many 100w x7 AVRs may only put out 70 when all channels are kicking.

Select one speaker... (each needs to be able to individually hit the desired level)

Enter speaker sensitivity

Enter the distance from the seating area to that speaker.

Enter the amp power.

Select away from wall, the wall and corner options are for bass (subs).

105 is reference for loudspeakers, 115 for subs, if you listen at reference you'll need a little headroom, If you don't have a treated room you probably won't like reference at all with a room full of reflections. If treated you very well may listen at or close to reference.

So basically use the calculator below and find out yourself what you need based on your room and listening habits.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Sensitivity determines how easy a speaker is to drive. All my speakers have different sensitivity and as long as they are close, it should not be a major problem. The avr or amp rarely sends equal power to the speakers in a multichannel setup. Surrounds don't get the workout that the mains and center usually get.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Cool! Mine shows 125dB at the LP for my front three (101 dB sens.)
Yea mine are 101 db as well, 115db at 17 feet with my qsc 1644 amp. My ears will bleed before the run outta steam. :), that 10 db above reference headroom will sound 2x louder than reference. : you've got 20 db of headroom :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.